does your 3 y/o get dressed by themselves?

my 3 y/o son loves to get undressed by himself but always wants help getting dressed. I know he knows how cause there are days when I don't have time and he does it after me having to yell at him more or less. how can I get him to dress himself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son will be four on the 20th. He just started attempting to put on his shirt by himself. He's been able to put on underwear and shorts by himself for about 6 -7 months now. I always tell him to make sure the tag is in the back. Lately, he's gotten into that independant stage where he wants to do everything himself. I think that's probably the norm, so I wouldn't worry too much. He'll let you know he wants to do it himself soon and will want to do a whole lot more by himself.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• my son is turning 3 tomarrow and he like to put on shorts by himself but shirts are too hard for him. now that michale jacksons everywhere on tv he's now attempting to put on a glove but it's too hard for him to get his fingers in there. but just to answer ur Q no he doesn't dress himself
    felicia7806

Answer by felicia7806 at 4:47 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Reward him for doing it.
    Make a 'Morning Chore Chart".
    Have spaces for undies, pants, shirt, socks, shoes.
    He gets a star for each one he does on his own - of course buttons and shoelaces don't count but the shirt can be on ready to button and the shoes on ready to tie.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• mine did...but not always successfully.

pants, undies and socks were easy but shirts not so much.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My daughter turned 4 in May and she's been able to dress herself for about a year. Shirts were always more of a problem than anytihng else. But it's nice now that I can just tell her to get dressed and she will.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My 3yo has been dressing herself since she was 2 1/2. She turned 3 in April and can completely undress and redress herself including tights or socks and shoes. She even turns her clothes right side out if they aren't already. She hates when I try and help her. Her fashion sense leaves something to be desired...she comes up with some really wacky outfits but whatever makes her happy. If we're going out I try to encourage her to change into something more coordinated. She usually agrees.
    My 6yo dd had issues getting dressed, though. She had/has fine motor skill problems and just couldn't dress herself until she was about 4 1/2 without at least some help. She just learned to button her blouse last year after she turned 6. She still can't button her jeans and can't tie shoes. She was 5 before she could get her socks on without help.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2009