The Golden Casket:

This is something I talked to my mom about when my aunt died and the same thought went through my head during MJ's memorial. When we die, no matter what we believe, does it matter what the container is made of? I can be buried in a wooden box for all I care it is not like I plan to remodel and paint once I am at my final resting point. Wouldn't the money be better spent starting a fund or helping those still living?

I will say one thing, when they say you can't take it with you---that was just proven wrong.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• We paid a 100 to the actual church my grandfather died(and that was optional) everything else went to the casket, transportation, and burial. Sounds like a few of you got suckered.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I just want to be cremated. And this way there is more money for my family to pay bills or other things that i leave behind.
    Anonymous

• I agree. I want to be cremated. Maybe spread my ashes somehwere (havent decided yet.). I'd rather my family not have to worry about the money it costs to be buried.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 4:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Really, as far as I care, you can dig a hole and bury me in the backyard. I want to be cremated and have my ashes spread. I just think it's creepy to keep somebody's ashes, but that's just me. Besides, i don't want my family to feel any kind of guilt or anything for not "visiting" me.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• No, it doesn't matter what you're buried in. I can suspect that someone might have a fancy funeral/casket because: #1 establish importance for themselves. #2 A family's way of closure and feeling like they're "doing something" for the deceased because they don't know what else to do. #3 Spending a lump sum at a funeral so there's left to leave for family members that you don't want having the money?

lol who knows. When I worked in a nursing home, I had a resident who was bent on having a Catholic funeral and her church wanted $14,000 but Medical Assistance will only allow you to to save $7,000 for your funeral and the church wouldn't accept anything that little. It was a shame because she worried about the state of her soul without being able to have a Catholic funeral :-( I went on Maternity leave and haven't heard if they were able to find a different Catholic church for her to set up her funeral with.
    Anonymous

• It doesn't matter in a functional sense. But when you think of the fact that 20% of Jackson's estate is going to charity, I don't see what it matters if they casket is worth $10,000... Personally we are building a mausoleum for ourselves. My DH is afraid of tight spaces and is afraid of being prematurely interred. I do not plan on allowing funerals for either of us and embalming is a huge unnecessary item. So we will not be buried. Eccentric? Yep. That's how I live life, that's how I plan to die.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My DH is afraid of tight spaces and is afraid of being prematurely interred.

I had a history teacher in high school who made it very clear that nobody should be afraid of this anymore. If you somehow get "misdiagnosed" as dead, you will never be buried alive. The embalming (required by law) will kill you.

I think most of the funeral is a waste of money. When my uncle died, my aunt had a viewing before the cremation - involved leasing a casket and all the open-casket "beautician" services. When my step-mom died, she was cremated before the service because open casket wouldn't be possible. Same funeral home, $8,000 less.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• double check that embalming is required by law fact. I am not sure it is required in all states.
    Anonymous

• The Catholic church doesn't charge 14000.00 for a funeral....The funeral home is the one who does the work and charges the fees. The church only has the mass....and the priest usually comes to the funeral home for a bit the night before the funeral. The cemetary is also expensive...but the church itself is not a huge expense by any means.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• "I had a resident who was bent on having a Catholic funeral and her church wanted $14,000 but Medical Assistance will only allow you to to save $7,000 for your funeral and the church wouldn't accept anything that little. "

Are you serious??? I have never heard of a church charging for a funeral. My husband officiates funerals all the time and they are free at our church. I think most churches are free. If you want to hold them at a funeral home you pay to rent out their chapel, but the minister/priest should come for free.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 9:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2009