Where to turn if you start thinking about hurting yourself?

I never thought I'd be one of those people saying they wanted to hurt themselves, but I keep thinking of anything in my house that could hurt me (razor, knife, even my own hand slapping my face) and I just don't know what to do or where to turn.

So many people will be disappointed in me. I don't dare let anyone know because I don't want them to think I'm a crazy depressed lunatic. I'm not!! I'm a completely normal person. I'm just struggling. I don't even want my husband to know!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Health

• I went through the same thing. *hugs*
    Friends are the best, however. Or just someone who understands...
    If you do end up doing it, your husband will find out. :/

If you need someone to talk to, you can certainly message me.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 4:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• ANTI-DEPRESSION DRUGS - GO TO UR DOCTOR ASAP.
    Anonymous

• what a about a local church...? they are usaully very good with things like this,and wont tell anyone.try talking to a minister,of a therapist those help and have to not tell
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 4:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• U have to get help or ur family will be even more upset if u do something to yourself- make a app. with the doctor- get anti-depression drugs- maybe u need to talk to a professional.
    Anonymous

• Do u love your family? Get better for them- go to the doctor.
    Anonymous

• I think it would help you to see someone. You could just make a counseling appt. and tell them you don't know if it is depression or stress, but you have been experiencing strange thoughts and it is scaring you. Counselors are trained for this sort of thing and no one has to know why you are going. Maybe tell your husband you feel anxious or stressed and you've heard it helps to see someone for it. No one has to know why you are going, but in seeing a counselor you may feel better. By hiding your thoughts and feeling bad about having them, you give them Power! Its like saying you wont think about something and it is all you think about. So the idea that it is so important to keep it a secret may make them occur more often. Which scares you, which makes the cycle worse. Please reach out! They won't think you're crazy, they'll help you deal with the stress that is causing the thoughts!!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Many of us feel sad or depressed. Whatever you do, think about how it will affect your family. Call a friend or someone you feel you can talk to. Please don't hurt yourself it's not worth it. If you want to to message me your more than welcome. I'd be glad to listen. I hope things work out for you soon.
    awesome4

Answer by awesome4 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• See a doctor! I was in the same boat not but a few months ago.... took antidepressants and am now off. You don't have to be on them forever, just to help with the now. I was there as well, it's very sad and lonely.... I didn't want my husband to know as well, but he was the one who actually got me help and I'm soo glad he did!!! I talked with a counselor and helped me figure out my dosage which was high to begin with but now I'm off completely!!! You need to do this for you kid(s) and husband!!!! They do need you no matter how you feel... nobody will look down on you, those "crazy lunatics" are different than this is!!! I promise!!! And if you don't get help now it gets worse..... a lot worse! I really hope you get some help and feel better!!!!!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2009