How can I get my baby to sleep through the night?

My son is 1 year old and he still wakes up at night crying. I use to just give him a little bit of milk and he would go right back to sleep, but now he wont. I just switched him to sip cups and I think that's why he wont drink it. He has no trouble drinking from it during the day though. Another thing that works to put him back to sleep is laying him down with me, but I don't like to do that because I'm scared he will fall off the bed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He may just have a higher need to suck for soothing purposes. Try giving him a bottle of water. Just put it in a corner of his crib at bedtime. Show him it's there. And let him help himself. Bottles of water will not harm his teeth in any way. The ADA says to not worry about bottles or binkies as long as they are gone by age 4.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:47 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I would not put a bottle of anything in the crib with him. Try putting him on a nightly routine. I had my two kids on a routine and they both sleep through the night and have since they were 6 weeks old unless they were sick of course. They had dinner at 6pm and a snack around 7. They would play until 8 and have a bath. After their bath, they got a massage with lavender and chamomile lotion. They were given a cup of milk they drank before bed. I would lay them in their beds and read them a short story and give them hugs and kisses and they went to sleep on their own. Very rarely will my daughter wake up (usually her arm has fallen asleep and it wakes her up or she is sick). My son always sleeps through unless he is sick. I hope this helps.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2009