How old was your child when he/she started to speak clearly?

I am a little concerned about my nephew. He is 17 months old. His days are spent in his playpen watching TV. I don't think he even has any books. The only word I've heard his speak clearly is "cheese" when someone takes his picture. He makes sounds like "da" for Daddy and "ba" for ball. It has been a very long time since my children were that young, but I seem to remember them putting words together by that time to form small sentences. Of course I may just WANT to remember them doing that. lol

So what were your childs verbal skills at that age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• My daughter was using short sentences at 18 months. She's always been very verbal.
    Anonymous

• My daughter still doesn't use whole sentences at 2 1/2. Some children talk later. It doesn't help that your nephew has little interaction but he may be a late developer. My daughter has been speaking words clearly since she was about 10-12 months, but only recently really started talking a lot. She has always had this language of her own that she would chatter all the time. But she says lots of phrases.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 4:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• around 2ish my girls were really understandable, but being the mom I know their 'toddler gibberish' and can translate.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My oldest was holding full conversations at 18 months (freaky, I know)

My second was using sentences just after 2 years, but is still in speech therapy for articulation delays...so he still doesn't speak clearly. (his verbal skills other than articulation are that of a 5 year old)

My youngest didn't say his first word until 23 months after a month of speech therapy. He's still in it and is finally starting to use full sentences. He still has a severe articulation delay. (he's 2 1/2)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My 2 year old doesn't speak clearly. He talks a lot, and in sentences but I can only understand about 3/4 of it and strangers only understand about half.

I think the general rule is by 18 months, they should be able to say at least 10 words. I could be off on that, but that sounds right.

Maybe the mother could get him evaulated by early intervention if she is worried.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I agree with cavalrybaby about 10 words by 18 months is about right. That is where my oldest and youngest were, but my middle son had about 30 words by then. He now speaks in complete paragraphs, he just turned three. My nephew didn't speak more than 15 words at three, he did need speech therapy. But 17 months is too early to worry. All kids are different.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My 18 month olds words include, momma, dadda, nanana (banana), turtle, I, meow, dongdong(dingdong), up, dig.

It seems from you post that you are worried because of his limited activities. Watching tv all day is no the way to learn anything. What are his parents doing while he watches tv? You could encourage more activities with him. Give him some board books and some interactive toys.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• At 18 months my daugther only had 5 words, by 2 she had probably 50, and by 3 she talks my ear off but still has trouble with some sounds (can't say D at the end of words, like Dad is Dan or Bad is Ban) but he sounds about right, maybe a touch behind but nothing to worry about.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 5:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• At 18 months, my oldest was saying lots of words, but not putting sentences together until he was almost 2. My youngest was speaking in full sentences at 15 months and full conversations at 18 months.

I was wondering about my neighbors' son, he just turned 2 and I've yet to hear him speak a word. He'll make sounds but not intelligible words. He's with his grandmother all day and maybe she just doesn't give him a chance to ask for things; maybe she just gives him things without him verbalizing his wants and needs. I don't know, all I know is that he doesn't talk at all and I'm a little concerned, but it's none of my business.

Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 5:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• well if no one is reading to your nephew and he watches TV all day first off, that's HORRIBLE and you should do something. but my son is 20 months old and really wasn't very verbal til recently. he was just so active and focused on other area's of developement. now he's talking in 2-3 word sentances.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2009