• In the Spotlight:

Does it freak you out when complete strangers touch your kids?

I was at the grocery store last night and I had my 2 yr old in the cart. I turned to pick out some meat and when I turned around, an older lady was standing by him shaking his hand and talking softly to him. Then she started stroking his cheeks, kind of like you would do to your own kids. I don't like this not only as a parent but because of my culture, I'm not comfortable with strangers touching my kids on their heads (or anywhere for that matter but you get my point!) I just told him to say bye bye and pulled the cart away. Has that ever happened to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, I don't mind when an older couple wants to talk to my daughter, or even shake her hand, a pat on the head kind of thing. That is all fine. Most elderly people just want to interact with small children, I think it is in their nature.

But, I would definitely have a problem with that kind of intimate touching-caressing the cheek. That is the kind of touching that is only for close family members.

My 2 1/2 yo daughter loves babies and so when we are out, I will hold her up so she can see them, but I don't even try to touch them or allow her to. We don't get that close.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 5:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Yep. And until you said "because of my culture" I was going to say you were over-reacting. But culture is what it is, it's the way you were raised!
    Anonymous

• culture or not thats just creepy.
    Anonymous

• I'm OK with it when they just touch there leg or hair or something, but I had a waitress kiss our daughter when she was 14 months old!! Thats going too far, it was only on the cheek, but still!
    Anonymous

• It creeps me out, one because I've heard of people snatching babies and also because I don't want my child to get sick, I don't know where that person's hands have been. Also my kids get scared sometimes, so if my child is scared don't touch them they're scared of you hello!! If someone comes up to say hi, I get really close to my children so the person doesn't feel comfortable getting closer, they usually touch their hands and I carry wipes so I just wipe their hands off if it happens. Trust me I don't want my children getting sick from some creep!!
    Anonymous

• FRANKLY... The elderly lady probably is a grandmother who's grandkids don't live near her.. or your daughter might look like one of her kids.. etc.. but either way... if an older lady* key word lady... talks to my child.. I am ok.. as long as it isn't alot.

Any men touching my kid... well let me tell ya.. ONE GUY LITTERALLY GOT HIS HAND SLAPPED...
    Anonymous

• I would try to really tune in to the intent of the person. I think it's easy to over react these days. What culture do you come from? I thought we (modern, prosperous Americans) were the uptight ones.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 7:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• callmeann, I am American Indian. I don't think it's being uptight when you actually have seen what a person can do just by touch. And I have seen it. It's not pretty. And I didn't go crazy and yell at the woman. I just smiled and pulled my cart away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I hope I didn't upset you with my answer. I was trying for a light tone; self deprecating, if you will. I always just imagined other places in the world being more laid back about touching children. I imagined some Asian or European culture. I know I should have considered beyond that, but I just didn't. I took it that you were concerned about a stranger snatching the child. It didn't escape me that you were outwardly calm. There are all kinds of reactions. Again, I was only interested, not critical. I guess I read more into the question than you intended.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 12:55 AM on Jul. 9, 2009