Just filed for legal seperation yesterday....

Seperated from husband almost 1 year, he was and still is having an affair with a co-worker who's only 2 years older than our 16 y/o daughter. He has not been in our lives or going to therapy. This HAD to be done, no chance of me ever wanting to be with the person he is now, a total stranger. I'm anxious about it all, he will be served divorce papers at his job within two weeks.....when does this get easier? I'm happier without him and ready to move on, never wanted this but have to protect myself and our children. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you '-)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Relationships

• YOu are still in the hard stuff it sounds like, but it does get easier. I tried to avoid the drama and everytime b4 I faught for something in the divorce i thought about the cost of lawyers and realized I could buy new for cheaper than fighting over it. Try to be civil for your kids and stick to the imporant issues like college money for your daughter. Just let your ex go as much as you can...meaning dont try to talk about anything that he doesnt need to be involoved in, treat him with as much respect as you can and have an open door policy so he can contact your children. (assuming he is not abusive) They will experience disappointment on their own, you dont have to tell them, just be there for them and tell them you know how dissappoinment hurts. Msg me if you need to talk.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I'm confused. DId you file for legal separation or dissolution of marriage? They are two separate things. If you filed for LS it will take longer to get a Diss. of Marr. If you filed for dissolution it shouldn't take long as long as marital assets have already been divided, child support will be established by his income and there is usually parenting classes(regarding children of divorce) and custody to be determined. The adjustment should be easy if he's been gone this long.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• you're doing the right thing. Once a cheater always a cheater and your kids come first....always.
    Sweet-T

Answer by Sweet-T at 7:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2009