Can anybody tell me what might cause gestational diabetes?

I have a MD appt to check for it in a couple days (routine), but Im a bit more worried about the possibility of having it this time around than I did 2 yrs ago with my daughter. The symptoms/cravings, etc have been so entirely different from then than they are now with my son.

mommyoftwo1009

Asked by mommyoftwo1009 at 5:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• if you didn't have it the first time around and don't have any or the factors that make you high risk such as being overweight, having insulin resistance or pcos, or have a family history of diabetes, then I really wouldn't worry about it. and cravings are not so much a symptom of GD, but are a normal symptom of pregnancy. with GD you might feel thirsty all the time though and will probably want something other than water to quench that thirst.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I had it twice. Go easy on carbs and sugars natural and refined.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Sometimes in pregnancy because of normal hormone fluctuations and changes and weight gain your body simply can't use or produce enough insulin to keep your blood sugar levels where they should be....this is gestational diabetes. It's usualy treated with pills such as metformin or glyburide or with insulin injections. It requires testing of your blood sugar levels in the morning and after meals. You should adjust your meals to cut out bad carbs such as soda, juice, white pasta, rice and bread and try to use whole grains and high fiber foods
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Each pregnancy is different. It's unlikely that you have Gestational diabetes this time around.

I am currently in the midst of my second bout with GD and it stinks. I have to test all the time and be extremely careful of my diet. For me it's very hard. But I am also a person who is at high risk for developing adult onset diabetes as I get older anyway, so it's no real surprise that I have gotten it twice now.

I'm sure you'll be fine, but just in case you do show some high sugars in this first test, they will then do a second three hour test. THEN if that one is also high, you will see a dietician who will help you a great deal in dealing with whatever changes you might need to make.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 6:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I had gestational diabetes with my twins and since then have had full blown type 1 for 16 years. There is no history of diabetes in my family, I am the only one. They don't really know what causes gestational diabetes. It often occurs in the second pregnancy when the mother gained a lot of weight in the first pregnancy. I drank an enourmous amount of juice in my first pregnancy thinking it was a good thing and I suspect that. But, as I said they really don't know so there's not much you can do to prevent it. Even if you do get it, it usually goes away, I was unlucky.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Jul. 8, 2009