which bible passages to read?

due to my ongoing curiousity and interest in a more church driven faith....i was told i should read the bible more.
now i do have 2 bibles. although one is packed away (were moving) the other i keep in my daughters room so it available. what would you suggest as a good reading for tonight? the hubby is in the field (army) so once the baby goes to bed, ill be alone and have quiet time so i can reflect on it

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 5:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Read the book of John.
    Anonymous

• I've seen that you have an interest in the Catholic Faith and/or would like to learn more...so this might be a site you'd be interested in. These are the daily readings of the Church, the same ones they do at Mass and you don't need your Bible because the text on the site is right from the Catholic Bible. http://www.usccb.org/nab/
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 5:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I'd recommend starting with the Gospel of John. Then Matthew and Mark. Then Luke and Acts. I'd read the rest of the Epistles by Paul later when you have more of an understanding of Christianity and the Bible or when you'd have time to discuss Pauls writings with a Pastor or someone who can answer any questions you might have. Ruth and Esther are also very good.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Personally, I started with Genesis and went in order. If you want to get the "gist" then read the Torah - first five books of the Old Testament - (or, better yet, read through Kings), prophets, then the New Testament - especially the Gospels - Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. If you must you can push prophets back until after the New Testament, but there is a lot in the NT you won't fully understand without it. Eventually you'll certainly want to go back and read the rest of the OT.

Jovaiel

Answer by Jovaiel at 5:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Book of John
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I would start with the book of John. Let us know what you think. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• YAY! Read the book of John!!! If you have any questions you can write to me. I love the book of John. It changed my life (it was my first book I read when I was in the process of coming to the Lord).

I will probably be on tonight too, if you wanted to discuss any of it : ) The first chapter is kinda confusing, but just know that it is talking about Jesus. "In the Beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God." The Word is Jesus. If you have any questions let us know : )

And before you read, pray and ask God to help you to understand what you are reading and to speak to your heart.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't try reading it "in order" from Genesis on, just because you'll get very bogged down by the time you get to Leviticus. I like the idea given by whittear to follow the daily readings of the Catholic Church (since you are interested in Catholicism). Please note that at the same website whittear referred you to for the daily scripture passages, there are also video reflections on the daily readings (http://www.usccb.org/video/reflections.shtml)
    Anonymous

• Gonna agree with several others... start with John
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 6:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• As a Catholic I like the way the readings are done at Mass because they often relate together thematically - especailly on Sundays. The 1st reading, usually from the OT, reflects important themes from the Gospel reading. The 2nd reading is usually from one of the epistles, a letter written to an early church community. These letters are read semi-continuously. Each Sunday, we pick up close to where we left off the Sunday before, though some passages are never read. To me it's important to read the NT in light of the OT and vice versa.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 7:11 PM on Jul. 7, 2009