Is it wrong for me to feel uncomfortable when the woman across from me starts brst feeding in front of me and my kids with nothing covered?

please don't get me wrong, I am totally for breastfeeding. I was never comfortable doing it in a lobby or park bench. I felt it was a private, intimate,bonding time for me and baby. In public or get togethers I just pumped. My kids were staring even though Itold them to stop and she gave them a dirty look! I didn't think I would be so uncomfortable!I was like geeze lady! If you are gonna whip your entire breast for the world to see, don't expect everyone to be ok with it just because you feel they should be!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Your feelings are never right or wrong, they just are.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I agree! I've bf in lot of places but almost always been covered - pull over tops are better to cover our top breasts ad a light baby sheet or pillow case is good to wrap baby in but let breathe. And I bf 3 kids by the way for a long time each baby!!!
    Anonymous

• You can feel however you like, I breastfed dd until 13 months and DS is still going strong and he's over 2. I'm totally pro-BFing...but let's be honest, its weird seeing other women's boobs. Did she at least throw something over her? How old are your kids? My DD4 probably would not even bat an eye because she has seen me nurse her brother for so long. I'm curious why this woman would give a child a dirty look for staring....seems odd to take issue with a curious child. Where did this all take place?
    Anonymous

• Not wrong, just unnecessary. I bf in public, just made sure I was covered. If a womans boob is completely hanging out where you can see the whole thing then I can understand feeling uncomfortable but I wouldn't make a big deal about it. My kids have seen me and their aunties bf so they are used to it and don't stare. The trick was, I had to make sure they didn't think bf was something to be ashamed of.
    Anonymous

• I would have taken it as an opportunity to teach my kids how good breastfeeding is for babies. I see nothing wrong with her feeding her baby when it is hungry.
    My kids have looked funny when they have seen somebody breastfeeding a baby and I told them it is natural and that it is not big deal. Now they don't even bat an eye when they see it. They don't see it as sexual, they see it as the best way to feed a baby.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I agree but disagree. I mean you sould feel uncomfotable because how do you explain that to a child who wont understand fully? But it's also been the fault of media and people in general to make breastfeeding such a "shocking" thing. I mean I'm a little thrown if I see full boob just poop with no warning but who isn't? I think breastfedding is an intimate time, and do agree maybe keeping it private, not because I don't want to see it but because it's crucial for a baby, let alone a new born to have that calming bonding tme.
    I saw my mom breast feed my two siblings at 8 and then my step mom breast feed my sister at 16. I'm not new to how it works, but I always appreciated how my mother's had a light blanket to cover up for those who might get uncomfortable.
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 5:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• It was in the waiting room at the doctors office. My kids have seen me breastfeed before.I'm sure they were suprised to see her do it in public my kids are 2 and 3.Her entire breast was exposed so I got up and moved.
    Anonymous

• I believe there is a proper way to BF and popping it out in front of everyone is not right. She shouldve done it in a more private way There are ways to cover up or even pump if you know you are gonna be in public
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 5:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I am and was a pro BF parent but Come on why do others need to see your breast's? I think honestly if you are in a public place and you can't throw a blanket over you (cause we all know you get 1200 blankets for shower presents) then I honestly think you should be given a citation for indecent exposure. I figure if a man can get a citation for Peeing in public then women showing their boobs is really no different. Sorry if you don't agree with me but This is how I feel. I am all for BF your children but really Please cover yourself. I don't need to give my toddler an anatomy lesson quite yet!
    cannonsmama

Answer by cannonsmama at 5:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• At least if someone is breastfeeding they should have some respect and cover themselfs with a lightweight blanket or something! Last week at the zoo we walk out of seeing the seals and this woman is just standing there breat hanging out breastfeeding. There are children running around everywhere! Dont get me wrong I am all for breastfeeding but I didnt go to the zoo for my child to learn about bf we went to learn about animals!!! And I was not the only mother upset about it either! I wouldnt have even thought twice about it if she was covered!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 5:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2009