When is the best time to start potty training?

My child is my is eleven months old and would like all the information you have about the subjet. Thank you

Patty0930

Asked by Patty0930 at 5:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When you child shows interest. IMO any time before that is waste of time.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Agreed. I got my daughter a potty chair for her 1st birthday, just to get her used to its existance, and everytime she follows me into the bathroom I sit her on it so she knows thats what its for, but she isn't ready yet.

This isn't a time frame thing, like they need to be potty trained by a certain age. Its all about the individual child and their readiness for it.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• i dont know when the best time to start is but i started with my daughter when she turned 2 and it didnt take her long to get the hang of it. she is almost 3 now and she is a pro...except at night time, she still wears a diaper to bed (she is such a heavy sleeper!...like her mom and daddy)
    patience is key, no matter what age...
    i got lily dora panties and just let her run around the house in her panties and a t shirt and wuld keep walking with her to the potty and saying "do you got to pee?" and when she had an accident i would say, "you got pee on dora, i thought you were going to go potty in the big girl potty? will you tell mommy when you got to go potty next time so we can go on the big girl potty" and if i cought her in the act id pick her up and run her to the potty and if we got and pee or poop in the potty i would make a big deal about it and tell her how proud i was and then she just started getting the hang of it..
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 5:47 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I think the best way to go is to have zero expectations, but still provide plenty of opportunity!! When your LO gets interested, make a big deal with a potty (personally, I would just use the big toilet and hold them up there) get excited! If and when it happens that they actually do something, think BIG, most likely it will be by complete accident, but make a HUGE deal about it, loud and expressive applause will encourage! PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE!!! I started playing with the idea with my ODS when he turned a year old, and he was potty trained somewhere (completely) between 18-24 months old. Don't buy into the stereo types that boys are harder or girls are harder, each child is different, zero expectation, LOTS of opportunity!! :) Good luck, my YDS is going to be a year in august and I am already thinking about this! :)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 6:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2009