Do you think 12 ounces per feeding is a lot for a three month old?

I have never heard of a baby that small eating 12 oz every three or four hours until yesterday!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• That's an AWFUL lot. And rice ceral isn't supposed to go in bottles except under a doctor's orders...it can make them get hungry faster, if they don't choke or aspirate on it. Carbs...they give you a quick boost than make you starve.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• At three months old, all of my children were having about 6 oz. at the most at one feeding!
    Anonymous

• Dear God yes, try putting a small amount of rice cereal in her bottle of 6oz. that will fill her up for about 4 hours. I did with both my kids and I told their doctor and she said it was fine as long as they were ok with it. Also if your going to do that you might want to buy the nipples with an X on them it's called verbile or versitile I don't know something along those lines just look at the nipple and you'll see the X on it, don't get fast though, trust me it will be everywhere. If they don't have the ones with the X then get medium. But yes try putting a pinch of rice cereal in a 6oz. feeding.
    Anonymous

• Thanks but it wasn't me that said they did this yesterday anon :45. I read it somewhere on here that a woman was pumping 12 ounces into a bottle and was feeding it to her child in one sitting!
    Anonymous

• umm no i've never heard of that my son is huge and 7 months old and has never eaten that much.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 5:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My son was WAY past the eight ounce meal at three months, and when I arrived at the exact same place you are right now, I began putting a little bit of rice cereal in his bottles. Like the above poster said, you may have to increase the size of the hole in the nipple, but you may not at first. Start with a small amount of cereal, it basically dissolves, so if a little bit helps, then stick with that amount and increase it as necessary. All kids are different, and where some kids may be okay with straight formula for longer, some kids need more calories. And there's always the possibility that your little one is coming up on a growth spurt. You'll know because they'll start waking you up in the middle of the night for extra feedings, and then you'll look at them in a week or so and SWEAR they've grown overnight! It's one of the added bonuses of parenting, miraculous changes right before your eyes! :)
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 5:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I saw that question....I assumed it was a typo!!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 6:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• That is overfeeding! Poor kid!
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 6:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I thought my son was eating too much! When he was 3 months, he was consuming 7 to 9 oz every 3 hrs, today he's 22 weeks and 9.5 oz every 3 hrs. 12 oz is alot!!!
    Joy1Roberts

Answer by Joy1Roberts at 6:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My son was taking 8 ounces every 1 1/2-2 hours at two months old. I fed him when he was hungry never gave him rice cereal that is no different than putting sugar in the bottle and does not work to fill a child. I believe in feeding on demand even when bottle feeding. My baby never overate he was a very all and stocky baby but not fat. He was just big as a baby like my husband and I were. My son is nearly 7 now and is only 58lbs he is the skinniest kid now he still eats everything in sight. All kids are different and will eat varying amounts.
    Anonymous