My friend got seated right next to a woman who was openly breastfeeding(were talking right smack next to her)

She is younger,very private,and has no kids. She was highly uncomfortable and somewhat grossed out by the end of her 4 hou flight. Just for kicks what are your thoughts and takes on something like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Crying baby versus a nursing mom....easy choice.

As you mention, your friend is very young with no kids. Not surprising she was uncomfortable. But considering some of the seatmates she might have had, it really wasn't too bad.

Here's a travel tip...request the emergency exit aisle if you want to avoid being next to a nursing mom. A mom with a baby cannot be seated there as she can't manage the requirements of handling the exit door.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• The baby has to eat. If she was uncomfortable that her problem.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 5:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Ditto to the previous poster.
    Anonymous

• When I was breastfeeding I'd always look for a private place. I didn't like people starting at me.
    Anonymous

• Baby's nutritional needs comes first. If your friend or anybody has a problem with it, that is just that, their problem.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 5:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• What's the problem? Children have to eat and some of us still choose to breastfeed our kids. She could have requested to move or politely asked the mom to be discreet.
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 5:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• While it's not illegal and is perfectly natural, it still makes alot of people uncomfortable to see a child breastfeeding, not to mention the reaction and questions a young child that was never exposed to it can have. The mother should have taken into consideration those around her and covered with a blanket. It's what I've always done.
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 6:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• It's odd that people in our society are uncomfortable with something so normal and natural. Cow milk is made for baby cows and human milk is there for baby humans.
    I don't get why some people are against it?
    Anonymous

• Considering it was on a flight, I think your friend might have been a bit more tolerant. The mother couldn't exactly go anywhere else on the plane to breastfeed.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 6:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• On an airplane ESPECIALLY- it is often the only way to keep a baby from CRYING THE ENTIRE FLIGHT... so what is worse- a few boob shots, or a SCREAMING BABY for FOUR HOURS??!!!!!
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 6:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2009