teeth

Have you ever had a front tooth pulled?One near that front that when you smile and talk people can see its missing?I had one pulled today.Its the 2nd one from the very front tooth.I am getting a bridge that hooks on and will be cemented to 2 other teeth.I wont leave the house until then.I have been crying about it.Even thinking about suicide.I feel so ugly and embarrassed.I brush 5-6 times a day,only drink water,and floss 2-3 times a day and get cleanings every 6 months but my parents both had bad teeth.The one they pulled had a crown and the tooth ended up breaking when the crown came off.I already have 4 teeth on the bottom in the back missing.I am so depressed about this.I am 40.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Health

• My sister, who is only 38, lost her front tooth, the very front! She has a bridge now, but when it happened she was very upset, but now you can't even tell! I'm 45, and when I was a kid I had alot of dental work done, (in the genes :) ) now all my silver fillings are coming out, and the tooth that's left is crumbling! My front teeth are ok, so far, but it's my back teeth. Don't stress too much about it......it happens to the best of us! ;)
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Honey, don't be depressed, as hard as it is. I have very bad dental problems too. In fact, I'm waiting for my dentist to get his butt back from Hawaii - one of my crowns broke out. I'm in the same boat as you. Then you have to whole "I've got dental insurance but it does little good to help with the expense". Our yearly maximum is $1500 - that was spent by the second month this year. Everything else is going to have to be cash.... my dentist wants to replace all of my crowns with permanent crowns screwed into the bone (actually I'm afraid he'll refuse to fix just this one broken crown and insist instead of doing the whole front at the same time) - which is (out of pocket) $11,000 for 6 teeth. You're not alone. I'll be 40 this year - I used to have perfect teeth - then one day one broke while eating a french fry - it's been down hill since.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 6:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I am sorry that you are feeling so badly. If you are considering suicide you should call the Suicide Hotline. It's not any comfort, but you know that you did all that you could, all that could be done, and this is beyond your control. It wasn't as though you neglected your dental care. When it is all fixed up, you'll move on with your life. People have dental work all the time, at all ages. You will make it through this and be happy with your new look. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 6:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Thank-you.I have medicaid but they dont pay for extractions or other work anymore.Not even a percentage.I had to get a credit card at the dental office to pay for this.I dont know how I am going to pay for it.I cant even pay for food for my kids.I have been crying all day.
    Anonymous

• sorry to hear that u have contemplated suicide over this i have had some bad teeth my mom had full dentures at 25 and my dad used to flick his bridge out to scare us lol my front teeth thank god r ok but i have had to have back ones pulled or root canals done it sucks it hurts and no amount of taking care will fix it so stay home no one will notice once u have the new one put in good luck
    lilmammaweisner

Answer by lilmammaweisner at 6:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Sweetie, the good news is that you qualified for the Care Credit Card; Once you have that new and beautiful smile, you'll have the confidence to take on some extra part-time work to pay that credit card. You will be okay.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 7:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I know how feel im 22yrs old and I have a crown on my front right tooth, and I need it fixed badly, because I can feel air hitting my nerve and it hurts, but I can't get it fixed because my insurance doesn't cover it and im broke.
    Although I must say thoughts of suicide are a little over the top for something like this I was in my early teens when I got my tooth knocked out, suicide never crossed my mind, I hope everything works out 4 u
    Anonymous