Fever that has lasted for 4 days

Ok so I know most of us aren't doctors here. BUT here goes

Saturday- 102, noticed some redness of the eye, congested, a little lethargic, but thats all

Sunday- 101-102 same as previous day

Monday- 105 took him to the hospital (only because this is what doctor recommended) they found nothing and said he may possibly have conjunctivitis (pink eye) so they gave us drops

Tuesday- 102 eye is ALL swollen w/ some discharge. very consistent w/ his eye drops and have been sitting w/ him for about an hour w/ a warm rag. hes just now able to open it.

BTW he is so congested he is snoring louder than someone w/ sleep apnea. He has such trouble breathing at night he kind of wakes himself up. My main concern is how long he has had this fever?? Doesn't persistent fever mean possibility of a bacterial infection?

Please don't answer w/ call your doctor because I probably will in the morning if still a problem.

Shellybelly420

Asked by Shellybelly420 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would guess bacterial infection, probably bronchitis, especially with labored breathing. Possibly even walking pneumonia. Is he wheezing when he has trouble breathing? My husband had acute bronchitis so bad last winter, I took him to the ER because we were visiting family and he was wheezing so loud, just with regular breathing I could hear it across the room.

Last spring my 3 year old had a fever for about 6 days, very inconsistently, she would be fine in the morning and by 8pm she would have a fever of 102-104. I finally took her in, they did a chest Xray and said it was definitely bacterial, definitely bronchitis and borderline walking pneumonia. Antibiotics cleared it up so fast, it was incredible.

Definitely take him back to the doctor tomorrow.

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 7:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• and yes i have been treating w/ tylenol and motrin. it does bring it down some but obviously comes back.
    Shellybelly420

Answer by Shellybelly420 at 6:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Hmmm....My daughter had high fevers all last week (103.5) but had no other symptoms. The doctor told me it was a viral infection and would go away and that she might even break out in a rash. Sure enough on Saturday she broke out in the rash and the fever hasn't come back. I alternanted between Tynenol and Motrin.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 9:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2009