Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hubby is being harassed by a "special" person....

My DH is being followed by a special needs person. All day long this woman Dawn follows him around and talks non stop. She doesn't even leave when I show up but stairs at me like I am taking him away. At first he and I were both like its not a big deal she is special cut her some slack she needs a friend... But 2 months later its still happening. He has said doesnt your manager in your department need you? She says no and keeps on talking. He talked to his manager and apparently she used to follow him a bit and one day grabbed his behind! He didn't want to pursue it cause of her condition. DH said a few times to him I need a little bit of help here and his manager says Dawn maybe your department needs you now. Again she says no. DH went to her manager and he just thinks its funny and does nothing. I said if she grabs your butt I will let her know all about herself! But honestly I dont know what to do... Do you?


Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (22)
  • Something nobody mentioned is, why is nobody concerned with her not doing any work and still getting paid.
    I would let hubby handle it. If he would tell a employee that wasn't handicapped to go back to work, why can't he tell her. She has been led to believe that she can do what she pleases and nobody will do anything. That is not right. She is supposed to be learning how to fit in with the rest of society and work to support her self.
    If nobody in the current store wants to do anything, I would start discussing it with the higher ups. They are doing themselves and her no justice.

    Answer by wildprairierose at 9:04 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

  • Also she sometimes is happy one minute and cries the next so we think she is Bi-polar.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • There should be a human resources person he can speak to and let them know that it makes him uncomfortable and her supervisor needs to take it more seriously.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • Yes, your dh needs to find out who her case manager is and tell them. People who are developmentally disabled need to know how to act appropriately in society, her case manager will know how to get it to stop.

    Answer by Nathskitten at 6:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • I said if she grabs your butt I will let her know all about herself!

    Are you kidding me? She's mentally disabled. Suck it up and leave her alone


    Answer by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • Look. I'm not against disabled persons, but seriously?
    No, you say to her she's over stepping boundries, just because she has a disability doesn't mean you can't apporach her like a normal human being. God she's not a lepor, you're going to what? Hurt her feelings for a bit? Boo hoo.
    She is just like any other person. What she is doing is invasion of privacy and a form of harassment. Just say to her, " I realize you like spending time with my husband, but he needs his space to work, and he can't do his job properly when you follow him around everywhere."
    Simple. Tell it to her like you would speak to a young adult. Just because she has a disability doesn't mean she also gets the right to do what she pleases.
    If she grabs your husbands bum, thats sexual harassment and she can be charged with it, with or without a disability.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • Okay clearly she isnt that badly special needs if she has a damn job. she needs to act like an adult and everyone should treat her like an adult

    Answer by queenamy at 6:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • it's inappropriate behavior to say the least. Legally it's sexual harassment and I'd be telling someone that if they dont' do something there will be a suit filed against the company for not doing anything. She can't go around grabbing ass especially at work. Is there a special needs school around there that you can call and see if they can advise on how to treat this? It's certainly not funny and if he has to sue the person that laughed will also be held responsible so he won't find it so funny then.

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • It needs to be discussed with Human Resources.

    Answer by gdiamante at 6:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • Oh that is such a tough one! Maybe she was hired through a program for the disabled and you hubby can talk with them. If this is the case, they would probably appreciate knowing what is going on so she can get some training. I know at the grocery store where I shop, the baggers come from a program for the disabled and live in a group home. I have seen their supervisor with them helping them train. If the above is not an option, try Human Resources. They should be able to help. It sounds as if your hubby is really trying to do the right thing, but he needs to be able to get his job done so he can get good reviews and get nice big promotions!

    Answer by teampalmer4 at 6:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2009