Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am a single mother of 3 that needs help fixing my roof my credit is very poor so I can't get a loan, but my roof is leaking in 3 places in my home what can I do I don't have the money to fix it and it is leaking in my kids rooms, is there any organizations that can help me? What can I do?

Answer Question

Asked by TTAsMOM at 6:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Home & Garden

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • where do you live? I can google some organizations for you, but need to know where you live.

    Answer by teampalmer4 at 6:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • Pick up your phone and dial 2-1-1. This is a NATIONAL phone service that will hook you up with agencies in YOUR area. Shelters, mortgage assistance, social services, health services, utility name it and they can help you with it.

    Answer by gdiamante at 6:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • Call Habitat for Humanity. They do stuff like that for folks in need.

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • I never heard of 211; it is not active in Chicago.

    Answer by rkoloms at 9:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • we live in a small town in NE OH and they sent a flyer in our electric bill for low income individuals, they can help pay for fixing your roof, replacing your windows, or replacing your furnace. we didn't qualify for it but it's through Community Action Development.

    Answer by plylerjones at 8:40 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

  • If you own your home, call your homeowner's insurance company. That's why you pay for it.

    Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:27 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

  • Have you had any severe weather in your area recently? We had some hail storms here last spring and everyone in our neighborhood got new roofs through their insurance companies due to "hail damage". Sometimes you can't tell if the damage is storm related. Call a roofer and get an estimate and ask if the damage is storm related...chances are he can work with your insurance company and it will cost little to no out of pocket $$. Good luck!

    Answer by giggles483 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

  • To answer all of your questions and thank you for all of the responses but unfortunately i don't have homeowners insurance its a fmaily home that was signed over to me. We don't have the 211 service in Little Rock, AR. I have called Habitat for Humanity and they do not do that type of work is what was told to me so I am just stuck in a situation with no one to turn to

    Answer by TTAsMOM at 2:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

  • Check with the US Department of Agriculture housing department. They have programs for stuff like this. Best of luck!!

    Answer by bcharmed at 1:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

  • This may take a little time and they ask for some personal information but I have received help from them in the past.

    Answer by mybiz1120 at 8:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.