I want to become a vegetarian. What are the first things I should do?

I don't want to become anemic or malnourished.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Health

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarian_nutrition
    Anonymous

• goveg.org
    It's Petas website for people who want to become vegitarian or vegan. They have some good recipes and stuff.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 6:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I became vegetarian about 4 months ago. Start out slow, you don't have to give up everything at once. You might want to read a book about how to become a vegetarian and get the proper nutrition because if you're not used to it, it could get complicated very quickly. I am constantly adding tofu or beans to my meals to add protein. But My body feels GREAT!!!!!! I'm so glad I made the switch!!
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 6:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I'm not a vegitarian any more...but Going Vegitarian For Dummies is actually a really good book to use, too. It has some recipes as well.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 6:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• ummmmm stop eating meat?!?!
    Anonymous

• Congradulations on moving towards a healthier lifestyle! I strongly recommend getting a copy of tthe China Study by T. Colin Campberll from your local library.

Great websites are: The Vegetarian Resource Group: www.vrg.org
    The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine: www.pcrm.org

The nutritional guidelines for vegetarians are the same for omnivores: eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, eat 6 servings of whole grains a day; eat two servings of legumes a day; drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day.

I have been veg for most of the last 30 years; feel free to contact me with questions, for TNT recipes, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• take vitamins and kiss sloppy burgers goodbye
    whistlemom3

Answer by whistlemom3 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Visit mercola.com. Read, and don't buy into the soy myth. The isoflavones will not help if you want to get pregnant. Make sure you don't get B12 deficient - there are no non-animal sources. I was a veg for 17 years, and now reluctantly force down poultry now and then. Fish is easier to take. It is hard to go back after so many years.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:12 AM on Jul. 8, 2009