Did breast feeding really help drop that baby weight??

I plan on doing either way because how good it is for her, i just was curious how many people it actually worked for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I lost 45 lbs in the 1st 2 wks while breastfeeding, and then another 5 lbs awhile later, and then nothing,
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 7:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Yes. I had a c-section 6 weeks ago and therefore have not been able to exercise at all yet. I gained 32lbs while pregnant and I've lost 17lbs already with no exercise. Obviously some of that was the baby, but she was only 8lbs...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 7:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Studies have shown that in the first 6 weeks, there is a faster drop in breastfeeding mothers, but that after about 4 months the differences level off to where there is no difference what so ever.
    Anonymous

• OMG yes....within 6 weeks I was below pre preg weight.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• It helps a lot at first, but then your body will hold on to a little bit of "storage" until you wean. It's not much and not noticeable to anyone else, but you might be fighting it and fighting it and it won't go away until you wean. Then you'll be like... "What?" haha. That's what happened here.
    Anonymous

• i breastfed my dd and yes, it really does help get the weight off a lot quicker. i weighed 120 when i got pregnant with my dd and gained 55lbs during my pregnancy, dd weighted 5lb. 14oz. when she was born, and i had a c-section so i couldnt do any excercising for a while and 3 months after i had my dd i was back to my pre preg. weight, 1-2 months after that, i weighed less than my pre pregnancy weight. without any excercise!
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 7:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I formula fed and I lost all my weight immediately (like within 3 weeks). I also know people who breastfed and didn't loose anything until they weaned!!! There are also people who lost weight while they breastfed and the weight came right back when they weaned. I also know people who formula fed, exercised daily ate right, watched calories and everything but barely lost any weight.I think it really depends on your body more than anything!

I hope all goes well and congrats on your LO!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Meh, not particularly.
    whoiam

Answer by whoiam at 7:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I lost 20 pounds within a week with my DD. Lost all the weight by the time she was 4 months old. She is now 7 months and i am well below pre pregnancy
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 8:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I would imagine that it's different with all women, as any weight gain/loss is.

But, BFing DOES make you burn up to 500 additional calories a day. :)
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 10:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2009