what are contractions suppose to feel like?

i am having my first child and no advice from any woman that i know and i'm still scared of whats going to happen.

chevygal86

Asked by chevygal86 at 7:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It was like your whole belly gets tight and you feel like you have really bad cramps like you have to poo but a lot worse. Mine hurt to bad i couldnt talk or sit down during them, i just literally bent over and held onto my dresser and rocked back a fourth for a halfhour till i could get to the car ( i also woke up in the morning with full on contractions so i didnt get the small first ones). It helps to sway and breath deep. But seriously you will just know, its like nothing you have ever felt and really its hard to tell someone else how it feels. Make sure you tell your SO that you think its time becuase my DH just layed in bed for what seemed forever then took a shower. But good luck, you will just know, and in the end its all worth it.
    Anonymous

• For me, it was tightening feeling on my lower back.. those were my first signs of i was in labor..
    of course there is also braxton hicks contractions. which are false.

queenamy

Answer by queenamy at 7:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• For me, my contractions were like monthly cramps times 10,000. I know it differs for all women though. I would say that when you start having real contractions, you will know for sure.
    TheWAHM

Answer by TheWAHM at 7:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My stomach would get super tight and get hard. This is how most people would explain braxton hichs but thats how it was when i went into labor but i was also filling up with blood also because of an abruption. So that might be why my stomach stayed hard
    Anonymous

• i did not go into labor on my own so at 42 weeks they induced and pitocin adds lots more pain to contractions then normal contractions or so i heard. Mine felt like they gradually came on and became stronger and stronger through that specific contraction. The most pain i felt was in my groin and back. I could not lay down it hurt that way. Sitting on a yoga ball helped so much and going into a hot shower with the yoga ball helped greatly too. It is very different for all women so we can't say what yours will be like. Not to scare you, but it was the most pain I've ever been in, in my life but well worth it!
    Anonymous