Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


does anyone know that if your husband signs his rights away if he can get them back or have full custody of the child

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Adoption

Answers (5)
  • I'm not sure. I think it would only apply in very special circumstances, and would vary state by state. One of my friends has an ex-girlfriend who was a drunk and the courts terminated her parental rights and her ex-husband had full custody. The dad passed away and they gave custody of the kids back to her.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • the mother cannot handle the child anymore, the child now has 2 domestic charges on her and is looking at being put in a mental institution any help with how to handle this will be gladly accepted

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • If a father signed his rights away then he has no rights. That pretty much sums it up. He can attempt to make calls to social services if there is a concern about safety, abuse, and neglect issues. Then if the child is removed he can hire an attorney to petition the court that he be looked at as a possible placement. Doubtful that the courts would entertain this but who can say what will happen. If he feels he must at least try then he can try. Other wise the child, if not with mom, will be placed either will a person of her choosing, relatives of that child (not dad in this case) or foster care. Sounds like a hard situation but consulting with an attorney should be the best option. I bet the lawyer would tell you that the chances are slim to none of him having any rights restored.

    Answer by frogdawg at 10:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • well i know that my sister lost her parental rights and has no right to visit that child or have any contact and she can not get them back the only difference is she lost them did not sign them away...if the mother is trying to get him to take her back to live with him then it might be different he can go to the court and show that he can be responsible and the mothers care is obviously not in that childs best interest but it will be hard if the mother is fighting him on it she can show that he just walked away and that looks baaad in court

    Answer by lilmammaweisner at 11:11 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • If any parents rights are terminated, even voluntarily, the relationship is legally and permanently severed. The only way to reestablish a parental relationship is to adopt the child, which can only happen if the legal parent(s) of the child allow it. There is no way to reverse a parental rights termination.

    Answer by MommyAddie at 1:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.