how can i help my baby with her pacifier

my 2 month old baby loves her pacifier. it is her "life line" if she doesnt have it she goes nuts and cries frantically till she gets it. she has not learned how to keep it in her mouth or hold it in her mouth yet. it seems like every few seconds( not exaggerating) we are having to put it back in her mouth. once she has it she is fine. we have always made sure she didnt need anything else ( like changed fed attention etc if she did we'd take care of it) she just wants that pacifer. she nor us have been getting any sleep because she keeps dropping her pacifier. the pediatrician suggested laying her on her side with it but that doesnt work. does anyone know any SAFE way to help her keep it in her mouth? her father and i are at our wits end.

april8581

Asked by april8581 at 7:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try a different pacifier...? That's my only advice. My daughter had a strong suck reflex and really needed her paci to help comfort her, so I know what you mean. But hers didn't fall out as often.
    Anonymous

• haha I've been there. My husband and I used to joke about making a headband to hold it in...kind of like the ones they have for little kids who wear glasses. But obviously that's not safe for an infant lol. The only thing we learned to do was when we swaddled him, we'd tuck the binky in there too so it would stay in. Helped for a while. He stopped taking the pacifier altogether at around months anyway though. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• thanks for your answers. i have tried several kinds of pacifiers with no luck. she has the 2 she likes best and wont even give any other ones a chance. and we have tried swaddling her but she is a wiggle worm to the 8th degree and wont stay swadelled. she hates having her feet and hands covered and will also squirm and cry till these are uncovered. so we just take her cover and tuck it into the sides of her bed. she is so picky! i think we have our hands full. lol at least she starting to figure out she can suck on her fists. still hasnt gotten the hang of it very well though. maybe so she will and forget about her pacifer. any ideas on how to speed that along?
    april8581

Answer by april8581 at 8:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• i had another thought on how to help her keep it in. we watched the happiest baby video where they help you teach baby to use it and the video said instead of pushing it in baby's mouth when they are sucking on it to push down on it or lightly try to pull it out and they will suck harder indirectly soothing themselves more. it doesn't totally fix the problem but it helps.
    mollysmom76

Answer by mollysmom76 at 3:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2009