How well does your three and a half year old count?

My little one can only count to 12, but she has 1 to 1 comprehension. Sometimes she will count up to three without counting out loud (ie there are three pretzels!) She will tell me how many of something she wants, and if I don't give her the right amount she notices, example I just gave her two pretzels when she wanted four and she said "want three four please."

So is that on track?

Note: I'm not trying to brag, she has delays and I'm just trying to see if she's about normal with the counting.

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 7:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yep. My daughter is about the same age and does the same things. She can also name all of her colors and shapes. Now we're on the ABC's.
    Samantha_1629

Answer by Samantha_1629 at 7:35 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• That sounds about right.

My daughter just turned 4, and she still can only count to 12. For some reasons the 'teens' escape her. She can write her numbers up to 10, we're still working on that. She also knows colors and shapes and can name about half of the ABC's by sight and can write about a third of them.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 7:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Mine isn't doing well with colors, letters or shapes, but I think she must have a mind for numbers. It's very exciting to have her on track with something! Thanks for the replies.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 7:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Mine is three and half, he can count to twenty (he skips around after thirteen sometimes) and he can add and subtract anything in the ten bracket - 2+2=4. 5-3=2, simple like that. He knows his colors, how to mix most colors, his ABCs and how to spell about ten words. He's behind socially though, and won't speak to strangers at ALL, not even a hi or a wave. He loves to learn and I am so so so glad. I think your child is right on track - it's amazing, one day they'll stumble on something and the next just zoom up two or three notches on the learning ladder! Persistence is key, and keeping it fun. ^_^
    Kodeekins

Answer by Kodeekins at 1:41 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Liv turned three in May, so she isn't 3 1/2 yet. She counts to 20. For some reason she doesn't go beyond 20, but she isn't pushed. She can view something quietly and then tell you "there are three dogs". She can also count things with her finger to around 15. I don't know why she can't count them up to 20. She isn't delayed. She is bright, but not exceptional or "gifted". She just seems to enjoy numbers. Also, part of her personality is that she REALLY likes to show off. That is what motivates most of her learning. I wish it were curiosity, but it seems to be the fact that she can show off her "trick". Our biggest struggle? Potty training. All children at this age will excel in areas and lag in others.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 9:11 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My DD is 3 and she can count up to 30 on her own. She does the pretzel thing too. Her number is 5 and she knows if you only give her three. ;-) We used a magna doodle and wrote them all out and that's how she learned to count so high. Now she will randomly just to it on her own, verbally. She can't write any numbers yet. She's known a-z and colors since she was about 2. She starts preschool in a month so we're hoping the writing will come through soon!

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 10:17 AM on Jul. 8, 2009