was this mean of me?

my ds (3y/o) knows where we keep our shoes but decided he wanted me to get them for him. I am working on making him independant because I'm pregnant (and due in less than a month) I told him if he brought them to me I would help him get them on. he took off to his room to pout. the way I see it, if he wants to play outside, the least he can do is get his shoes. they are shoes he knows how to put on so I thought I was being nice by offering to help him put them on. what are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There is no reason he couldn't get his own shoes. My daughter is the same age and acts like that sometimes. If he wants to go outside bad enough then he will get his shoes. Don't give in. It makes it worse.
    Anonymous

• NO it was not mean of you. My little girl is 5 and at around 3 we started making her do little things for herself. She knows now if she wants to outside she needs to get her play clothes and her shoes. If she needs her putting them on we will help but I am not getting them. She sometimes still wants me to get everything but I won't do it. We have kids for them to be our little slaves at a certain age right???? LOL (nobody flip out I am kidding)
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 7:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I agree with PP. That is old enough to get his shoes. He will learn if he wants to go out, he will get them himself.
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 7:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• You did good by asking him to bring you his shoes but as far as him running to his room I guess he was hoping you'd chase him and get them yourself, no just keep at it and soon you will get him to do what you wanted him to do. Just stick to your guns...
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 7:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• independence makes all of us stronger and mommy about to give birth definitely needs all the help she can get and a 3 year old son definitely will have to learn that mommy cant and will not do everything for him especially with the lil one coming in to perspective.....you just have to stick to your word and know that sweety you are not being mean or lazy by no means all children have to learn to be resposible and this is a start for sure so good luck
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 7:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I think you did the right thing. I babysit my 3 year old grandson. I had an issue with his shoes today. They were flip flops and he knows how to put them on, he was whining asking me to put them on for him, I was busy, so I told him he had to put them on himself. We are working on being independent too.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2009