Why are there nipples made for cereal if you're not supposed to put cereal in a bottle?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• Someone knew there would be enough lazy people in the world to make them rich selling nipples with the bigger hole so cereal can be given by bottle. I say if baby can't get the hang of eating out of a spoon then it's too soon to feed them food.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Sometimes a doctor will tell you to put cereal in the bottle.

For example, my daughter had GERD and we could either buy Enfamil AR or put cereal in her bottle. Either one would require a bigger nipple...
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 7:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Of course I was cheap I just made the holes in our existing nipples bigger. :)
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 7:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Fore the same reason Massengill still sells douches and Phillip-Morris still sells cigarettes.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Oh. And the same reason the still make baby walkers.

There's money to be made!

• gdiamante hit it right on the head there!!!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Because for some babies there is a medical reason for putting cereal in the bottle.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I agree with what the others said but, like some pointed out, cereal in the bottle is often medically suggested for reflux. My son had it in his bottle from the time he was about 3 weeks old until 6 months old because of reflux (I'm still wondering why the doctor never suggest medication because I've seen babies with far less severe cases of reflux get prescriptions, but whatever). It helped, but, contrary to popular belief, it never made him sleep longer at night. He still woke up every 3 hours until he was about 5 months old.
    I also never bought special nipples. My son was picky about the shape of the nipples we used so I just made the holes bigger until he was able to drink easily.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• BEATING A DEAD HORSE!
    This poster loves drama and loves to start things up. You idiots fall for it every time! Pathetic!
    Anonymous

• Who says you're not "supposed" to? Some moms on cafemom?

That is something a mother needs to discuss with her DOCTOR. Not strangers with no type of medical training.

Oh and anon 915, why do you feel the need to respond to the OP if she's just starting drama? YOU must live for drama yourself.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2009