How do you wean a BF baby?

My friends daughter has a 3 and a half year old who won't get off the boob. She's pregnant with her 2nd and needs advice on how to get him to stop.
Any idea's?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• Start by dropping one meal a day or she can try what my neighbor did. She put band aids over her nipples and told her son who was almost 3 that they were owies and it would be a while before he could use them again. Occasionally he asks her to get them refilled, but he handled it well. I wish her luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Maybe keep your nose out of it until you can refer to it more respectfully. Maybe her child has reason for needing to still nurse. The child will probably wean while she is pregnant honestly.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• First...slow. Drop a feeding a week...only every few days at most. Just to avoid mastitis.

What usually works with preschoolers is to offer a substitute or a privilege that's for big kids only. I wouldn't do the bandage route because kids know what owies heal. **grin** But if you tell a child they can only have a big boy privilege if he acts like a big boy? That really does work.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:11 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Answered at 4:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 by: ColleenF30
    Maybe keep your nose out of it until you can refer to it more respectfully. Maybe her child has reason for needing to still nurse. The child will probably wean while she is pregnant honestly.

I have no idea what your talking about! How am I being disrespectful? Mind my own buisness? My friend is asking for advice for her daughter. What's your problem with that?
    Anonymous

• who won't get off the boob.

You could think of something a little more tactful. And that is why I said it. The phrase was rude.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• BEATING A DEAD HORSE!
    Don't come here for advice. This is a group of immature Moms(some are not even Moms they just pretend to be) Your friend should get advice from her Doctor not mindless immature idiots!
    Anonymous

• I've noticed that in every BF related post I've read thus far tonight, a certain anon keeps running in with the beating a dead horse comment, and referring to people as mindless, immature, idiots, stupid, etc.

Funny thing, that..

Especially when her behavior is certainly mindless and immature.

If you are so anti-BF and think the women here are so mindless and immature, perhaps you should just avoid BF-related posts? Or, you could just avoid CM entirely?
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 10:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• why in the world would u be breast feeding a child that age I have nothing against breastfeeding a child up to the age of 1but 3 and a half that is silly who needs this more the child or the mom.That child should be eating a good diet to get the nutrition they need. The way to break him is stop letting him suck on your tit and give him a glass to drink out of simple.IMO that is nasty on the mothers part and should be illegal to do at that age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Jul. 8, 2009