I Want your honest answer please read

My daughter is turning 2 next week. Her Father is not at all involved hasnt seen her or paid child support in over a year. I took him to court to make sure everyones Interests were handled through leagle channels. Ive honestly put all the BS aside to make sure that I have done right by my daughter. I got married over a year ago My husbad HAS BEEN HER DADDY IN EVERY WAY. ok so here is the question my husband wants to adopt my daughter. And I feel that this is the correct choice but I have friends (very close to me been there through this all) who said I should wait untill she is older and let her make the choice. So now Im confused with my choice I want to do the right thing for my daughter. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• In my opinion I would let him adopt her if he's been a father for her then let him adopt her
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 8:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I would let him adopt her....as far as she is concerned he IS daddy!!!!
    Congrats to you for finding a great man who does right by you and your daughter!!!!

My son is almost 6, "daddy" is not around. Has I gotten married early on I would have let my hubbs adopt him, now that he is older IF I find mr right I would wait and let it be his choice.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I would let my hubby adopt her and when she gets older and can understand I would be honest with her about it. She will still have the option then of reaching out to her bio-dad if she chooses to. Just make sure she knows that your hubby loves her like his own and always has and that's why he wanted to be her daddy, to show her how much he loves her.
    Anonymous

• i would let him adopt her:)
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 8:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• it is honestly up to u and no one else. i would let him adopt her. i dont thing kids no what they want untill .... well i havent figured that part out yet lol. if your husband been there for her all ths time i dont thing nothign will change that....... good luck
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 8:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I'd let him adopt. He sounds like the REAL father anyways
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Does the bio-dad need to sign away his rights? Do you have any communication with him?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I have a son in that same situation. The bio-dad has never met him although he pays child support. But that is a choice for my son to make, not me. I prefer to have my son make that type of decision. If my husband had adopted my son, then my son gets older and learns his bio-dad was never around..he will have alot of questions. I would not want to take that decision from him.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 8:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• A few years ago I would have said let him adopt her. I don't feel that way now. My BFF had a baby at 18 with a POS guy. He never was around, no money, diapers, concern even a phone call. Nothing. When she was 23 she met this really terrific guy. They get married and a year later he wants to adopt her child. Bio father is like great, I'm off the hook. He adopts her. 7 years later Mr. Terrific is leaving my BFF and fighting her for custody. Guess who has my BFF's daughter now. He told a lot of lies to the judge and won full custody. Now my BFF has to pay HIM child support.
    Anonymous

• My hubby is adopting my three year old. We've been together since she was 6 months, and as far as Grace knows, he's just daddy. I want her to have the same last name as the rest of us, plus her bio dad is an idiot and a little unstable, so I don't want him ever deciding to try to take her for any visitation years from now. I'd rather get it over with when she's younger. I'm her mother, if I'd done what I should have when I was in high school, I would have picked her father before I had her, so why shouldn't I pick her father now?
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 8:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2009