my baby is only 2 and 1/2 weeks old and my sister told me that i need to establish a bed time for her. is this true? she usually goes in around 10 or 11 pm. If I put her in at 7 pm, wont she be up at 6 am!!! Do I always have to feed her before bed?

Mommytobe618

Asked by Mommytobe618 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i dont put my 14 month old to bed to til 11. i dont get home till 5am and theris no way he is going to wake up early..and my 3 year old around 12. it works for me thats all that matters
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 9:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Feed all children no matter what age before bed. Wipe her gums lightly with a damp cloth (so she will get used to brushing later). Then put her to bed at 7. She will not sleep all the way through the night. She will be up again in 2-6 hours for another feeding. It depends on the baby.
    But don't be to strict and don't worry too much. Does your sister have kids?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 9:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I waited until around three months to start a bedtime routine, it was a 8pm everynight. If you dont get him on a schedule he will be up at all hours of the night and getting up at various times in the morning. Do you want a 1 year old up at midnight, I hope not. A bed time schedule is good for you and baby, but I think he is still young for that, they sleep alot as it is right now LOL. As for feeding, yes I always fed mine right before bedtime, they still would wake for late night feedings but not as often. I wish you lots of luck, when you and he is ready.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• At 2 and 1/2 weeks? I think setting a schedule is okay but make it flexible. The schedule is mainly to help you at that age. I didn't start setting a schedule until 4 months because my DD put herself in one and I thought it best to continue. Baby's schedule's are always changing because how often and how much they eat changes every month/every few months.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 9:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't stress it - my 6 week old goes to bed around midnight and she gets really fussy before bed. I always feed her before bed but I'm pretty sure your baby will let you know she's hungry. If you try to put her down at 7pm she will just wake up to be fed when she's hungry. Personally I wouldn't be worrying too much about a schedule at 2 1/2 weeks! Your little girl will figure it out!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• A schedule at 2 1/2 weeks old? No, they are still adusting to being outside the womb. They are still getting used to nights and days. You are the parent and if you are happy with the way the baby sleeps, then all is well. Don't worry about what others say, you are the parent and you make the decision on what is best for your baby and your family.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• At 2 weeks there is very little scheduling... At least it never worked for me.

Also, you have to make a schedule that works for YOU not for the people giving you advice. If you don't mind your child being up til 9 or 10 then that's when you put them to bed. My oldest stays up later, my little one goes to bed at 9. I had her going to bed at 8 but she was getting up earlier than I wanted so I switched, she is nearly 2 though.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 9:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Don't worry about it. The newborn stage is about working with baby's needs.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:11 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• thanks everyone. i appreciate it. my sister has two kids, one is 3 months and one is 2. she has them both on a 7pm bed time. in time, I hope to have a bed time but i am sooooooooooooo glad to hear that she is too young for a bed time. it was stressing me out!
    Mommytobe618

Answer by Mommytobe618 at 9:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Way to young for a bedtime. Mine was still eating every 3 hours! They make their own schedule as they get older. Don't even sweat it.
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 9:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2009