what to do with my 5 and a half year old daughter?

she never wants to spend time with me. how should i hang out with her. and what should we do when we hang out?

laparcerita1795

Asked by laparcerita1795 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What does she like to do? Get interested in her things and you should be able to do a local search for community activities that you could get involved in.
    fuelsgirl2

Answer by fuelsgirl2 at 9:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• i agree- meet her interests. arts and crafts? how about going to the library? the local pool? a hike? a picnic? go shopping? read a story together, write a letter to a grandparent, bake a cake, run in the sprinkler, garden, have a tea party, etc. at age 5 their imagination is huge and there is so much tyou can do.
    Anonymous

• my son is doing this too. it's like he's a teenager and can't have anything to do with you. I give him his space some of the time. but the other times I take him to the movies just him and me, the pool, the library. and I even sit down and watch his shows on TV with him. I kinda liking this "Phineas and Freb" show

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 10:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Five is a great age! They usually have summer reading programs in the libraries. There are also activities going on at the library for free. Our area has free movies for kids on Tuesdays Wednesdays and Thursdays. There are beautiful parks around. Local museums are fun and usually free. Any points of interest around your town? Sometimes just a drive and maybe an ice cream cone is an outing that can be enjoyable. Check your local paper. There are usually things going on around town. Cooking dinner together and even cleaning up can be fun. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 1:41 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Start simple, just sit with her and begin to do something really fun like, painting or coloring. Some activity or art project that can look really interesting and she can join in with you. Don't push let her start the talking. Dressing and undressing dolls. They really like to undress barbies at this age. mini animals are fun. giant floor puzzles are also great.
    kimscastle

Answer by kimscastle at 7:18 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My daughter doesn't have much to do with me either, but when she is off playing I will knock on her door tell her I am bored and would like to know if she would play with me. And she says sure and we play whatever she is playing. We also do walks together or go feed the ducks. I usually wait until she is doing something she likes that way she will want me to join. I also have Wednesdays and Thursdays are our day together. She has to hang out with me so she picks what we do
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• the most important thing in my opinion is don't let this be the start of the divergence of parent and child. Fight it with all the suggestions above. Find something new you can both take an interest in, go for a hike? Find a book you can read together? But spend time with her and communicate with her.

good luck!
    Anonymous