acid reflux advise and info with a 2 month old

my baby recently stayed in the hospital for a few days for observation because she was blue around her mouth but not her lips and for feeding issues. after 3 days of observation, lab tests, and an echo to check her heart( all of which came back fine) she was diagnosed with acid reflux and a growth spurt. does anyone have any info on infant acid reflux( what to look for , symptoms etc) and any helpful hints to help her and i thru this? the dr put her on medicine and they also said her eating problems(i'm breastfeeding and been having a hard time with it she didnt want to eat from my breast she wanted a bottle i guess cuz when you feed with a bottle you can sit her up better than when you breast feed, i couldt pump much either to give her in the bottle because my supply got low cuz she wasnt wanting to take my breast ) probably had to do with the growth spurt and reflux combined. any advise and info would be great.

april8581

Asked by april8581 at 9:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my dd was diag. with adic reflux when she was 6 weeks old. by dr. instructions I put cereal in her bottle scoop for scoop with the formula (if you ff....if not try using a bottle with your bm). they also put her on zantac....which she can NOT live without. Things to look for is excessive spit up....not vomit. Just a normal spit up......and lots of it. My dd wasnt sleeping at night because she wasnt keeping enough good down. so sleeping was a problem. Good luck
    Anonymous

• My little girl has acid reflux. Signs to look for or at least what my daughter had. She would arch her back and cry in pain during feedings, she would spit up over half her bottle between feedings. Some of the spitup was a clearish color and my doctor told us that was just stomach acid from the reflux. Our doctor put her on Zantac and it was the best thing for her. She still spits up, Zantac wont take the spit up away, it just takes the pain away. She does not spit up as much though. Some helpful hint that has helped us. Is she was having a really spitup day, I would give her Mylicon gas drops with every other bottle, that helps a lot. I keep her upright and in her bouncer not in my arms (only cause she wiggles so much and then spits up everything I give her) for about 45 mins after a bottle. At night, I always worried about her spitting up in her sleep so I put about a tablespoon of rice cereal in her bottle everynight.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• my first was diagnosed with it at 6 months (and it was a hellish six months!) and my youngest at 3 weeks (and that was a scare!!!). the meds made all the difference in the world. i swear its a miracle drug. they both outgrew it by 2 and 1/2.
    kelinnh

Answer by kelinnh at 12:10 AM on Jul. 8, 2009