my baby rarely will lay in the pack and play. she likes the swing or bouncer. how long can she stay in these things? what else do you do with a newborn during the day? i tried the play gym, and she hated it!!! any ideas??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i left my kids in the swing, bouncer, wherever they were comfortable and wanted to be. not much you can do with a newborn
    Anonymous

• It takes a while for a baby to adjust to a pack and play or gym or really any type of tummy time. Its normal for babies to cry and raise their backs when you put them in that position but its important that you keep trying. Tummy time is very important. I'd suggest getting a mat and putting it under the play mat (by mat I mean padding. The types of mats used for nap time at daycares work nicely) Sometimes the floor underneath is too hard and thats why the baby is crying. Being in the swing/bouncer too much will not help teach your little one how to eventually crawl and explore! Its not going to hurt your baby to spend time in either but other things are important too. Try buying a sling and carry her around the house. She can see things from your POV. Try taking her on more walks in her stroller. I hope this doesnt sound preachy. Same advice I once got and glad I took it! :)
    Anonymous

• thanks! i take her to the lake to walk around, it is a 3 mile stroll. i feel like the snap and go/ graco stroller is so constraining to her. i never thought about carrying her around the house in the sling carrier while i do things. great idea. i feel like we don't do much..but glad to hear that there is not much you can do with an infant.
    Anonymous

• I will tell you some of the things I did with my daughter when she was a newborn. We tried tummy time (it was very hard on her, she had a condition called torticollis. We still did it just lots of crying). I would read books to her. I would lay her on the floor and exercise her arms and legs very gently and very slowly like bicycle her legs and stretch her arms. I would walk all over the house and talk to her. We went for walks. We snuggled skin to skin. I would lightly shake a rattle by her. I would give her baby massages with baby lotion (she loved this) She was in her bouncer when she slept and you know newborns sleep a ton. Good Luck and congrats on the new one!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Wear her in a sling! It kept my girls happy all the time!
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 11:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Wear her in a sling or other baby-wearing device. Mine practically lives in her babyBjorn, I get stuff done and she sleeps or watches... Don't want to leave babies laying on their backs all day without tummy time and other ways of relieving pressure on their heads or she will end up with a flat head - look up "flat head baby" and you'll find lots of info on it...
    howlingmonkey

Answer by howlingmonkey at 11:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Hold her.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:35 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I agree with jess, babies were meant to be held. :)
    ronisaurus

Answer by ronisaurus at 4:35 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• i have a strange and funny and crazy idea HOLD THE KID!
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 11:53 AM on Jul. 8, 2009