is there anyway to prevent head lice in my children?

everytime my kids get around these two other little girls at daycare they always come home with it. its getting to be to much having to weekly do treatments and extensivly clean their rooms. ive even had their matteresses cleaned. any advice?

tiredmomma1

Asked by tiredmomma1 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Lavender shampoo keeps the lice away i hear. i dont think they like the smell of it or something. i have tried this and it wored well. i switched shampoos though and sure enough... they had gotten it again. so i had to re-treat all there hair and when it was all gone after a few weeks, i went back to the lavender shampoo.
    Jmain8

Answer by Jmain8 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I would talk to the daycare. They shouldn't be allowed there with head lice. It's not fair to all of the other children and parents. Actually, if the Board of Health found out that it was a recurring problem, they might actually shut down the daycare until all of the children had been treated. I worked with a guy whose daughters daycare was shut down for a while because of head lice. I know it might be inconvenient for to have your kids at home for that long, but if possible....if the daycare didn't make an effort, I'd call the Health Department. Ugghh...my head is itching now, lol.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Put a few drops of tea tree oil in their shampoo.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 10:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Yeah, I agree with StefanieN. You should definitely talk to the daycare. Most likely there are other parents having the same issues and it is not fair for anyone...including those children spreading it that by the looks of their constant head lice might be living in an unsafe environment.
    lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 10:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Talk to the daycare. There is nothing short of keeping them from being exposed to lice that will prevent them from getting them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Lice like clean hair....so in the morning spray hairspray on their hair or put mousse or gel
    Reshel

Answer by Reshel at 12:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Talk to the day care, they are obviously not following proper procedures for this issue. Also, you could call the health department and report the day care for an ongoing lice issue. I really don't think there is much you can do to prevent lice, you could be in a store and the kids or you can get it. You could keep them at home, in a bubble awasy from everyone and the same with your eintire family.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• oh nooo my kid has the curliest hair and she is in daycare i am so scared anybody please give us advice... na my daughter wont get i guess thats what i gotta keep telling myself...oh nooooooooooooooooo
    BriannaBopp

Answer by BriannaBopp at 1:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Paul mitchell tea tree shampoo and conditioner is supposed to help prevent them! and i agree talk to the daycare, even though it is a littl ebit uncomfotable for them.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 1:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I agree with putting tea tree oil.
    GigglesRN69

Answer by GigglesRN69 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2009