Can you ease my mind? Twin delivery / c-section story...

I had an ultrasound last week.. Twin A has flipped him self into a breech position with his butt resting on my pelvic bone... I am not sure how possible it is for him to get back in the correct position.. But time is going by faster than I expected.. and I am starting to get nervous... Not so nervous about pain of a vaginal delivery.. I know it hurts.. especially when there is no time for pain meds.. and this time it's double the work... I am worrying myself about the strong chance I have of c-section... I can imagine it now.. laying on the table.. not feeling anything but tugging or whatever they say... and freaking myself into an anxiety attack.. just knowing what they are doing there... I have watched way too much baby story shows and such... I see so many women that are requesting c-section.. I guess as an easy way out.. but I am terrified...

Could you please help ease my mind with your c-section stories? I am not asking for you to lie or sugar coat anything...

Asked by JustMeTiff at 7:27 AM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i was just a scared as you. the c sec itself is not that bad. the hurting afterwards is, to me anyways. it took me about 4 weeks to be able to get p and down without hurting, which was a pain with an older child always wanting me to do stuff. my girls were in NICU for 1 wk which made it hard to go see them 5 times aday. my Aunt told me before hand that she felt the dr lift her son out and i thought she was crazy, but i can say i felt it too. my bigger girl(B) was breech and doc madee me have c sec. if you have any questions, feel free to message me, i jst went through what you are going through 8 months ago.

Answer by aidanstwins at 9:50 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• The c-section was the easy part. I screamed for the doc to do it after an hour and a half of pushing. They deliver you in the OR anyway, and they are prepared. Baby A was stuck and his head was tilted in the canal. He wasn't coming out on his own anyway, so it had to be done.

Just focus on doing whatever it takes to bring the twins into the world healthy. You don't get a medal for delivering vaginally. If a c-section is the best option at that time, just go with it. Stressing yourself out won't help at all and is very counterproductive.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't look up into the big lights with the shiny metal around them. Though, it was kind of like watching "baby story", lol.

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:03 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I have had a C-section 2 times-with my first one I did not get to hold or see my daughter for 2 hours while I recovered and I missed the first important few moments of her life.My son he was born with problems that we previously knew about-and he had to be in the NICU-I had to force myself to get out of bed. Normally they don't want you up for about 24 hours but I was up and out of bed in the first 5 hours. I couldn't stand the fact that I couldn't see him. Then they transferred him to a special hospital and I had to stay where I was because of the C-section. They did release me a day early but I would have been released earlier if it would have been a vaginal birth. The only other complaint I have from that birth was the idiot who was putting my spinal in- took 3 tries-I had to go in for a spinal patch later. It was the worst headach they had to fix the leak taking blood from my arm and putting it in my spine. So I have some great memories from having a C-section-

Answer by cutietootie97 at 9:14 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I have had 2 csections, one was an emergency one I had an epidural, but when I had the twins I had them vaginal. They came too fast for them to do anything lol! If you do end up with a csection it's not bad.

Answer by Irelyn at 9:19 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Usually you will only be conscious for a planned C Section. I had an emergency C Section and I was out cold so I wasn't aware of a thing. I had Vag delivery with the other 3 children and it doesn't even compare to the recovery time for a c section. If at all possible try to have them vaginally. If you have a c section you will have a tough recovery on top of twins to take care of. You should look into hiring a Doula who can help you avoid c section and give you alternatives to coping with pain and natural ways to get the baby to turn on his own.

Answer by Eliza34 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I've had two c sections. The first was due to my son being too large. The dr was afraid he would get stuck. He was 10# 2oz. I felt a bit cheated that we didn't at least try to go vaginally, but was glad he was healthy.
    With the twins I had an emergency c section due to a severe case of pre eclampsia. I had to be put out because they had me on blood thinners to avoid clots since I was on bedrest.
    Recovery with the twins was actually easier because they gave me a binder (girdle like thing that holds everything in place) and that helped me a lot pain wise. The key to a quick recovery with a c section is to get up and move as soon as you can. The more you get up and walk, the better you'll feel. Take your pain meds on schedule even if you don't think you need them. It's a lot better to stay ahead of the pain than to play catch up after it's hurting.
    If you have anymore questions about it, you know where to find me. I'd be glad to help put your mind at ease.

Answer by LuvMyTwins407 at 3:43 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Well, I delivered vaginally but I have afeeling this would apply in any situation. Don't be a hero! If the doctor gives you a two week supply of pain medication...use it. Don't try to be up and perky because you don't want to seem like a wuss. i moved into my 3 days after my daughter was born and it took me forever to recover. Just pamper yourself and enjoy any help you get to the fullest. Good luck!

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I've had two not so great c-section. One I had to be put under because the anesthesia didn't work. The toher, the baby ended up in the NICU due to breathing problems related to the c-section.

Answer by Pauline3283 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• shoot hon. I had one c-section and it was fine. Yeah I barfed a little, but it was easy. The curtain thing will be up so you don't have to see anything. It's mind over matter. Just focus on healthy babies. That's the important thing. And if it has to be a c-section for your safety and theirs it's ok. Be ready to welcome them to the world.