Have you had to...

fly with baby? and did you purchase a seat for baby or did it work out fine with baby on your lap?

How old was baby and how many hours was your flight? Did the amount of time you would be traveling play a role in your decision?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Travel

• My first flight with my daughter she was 9 months, from Detroit to Atlanta. No carseat, she did just fine on my lap. She's now three and just sits in the regular seat when we fly.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I traveled with my baby 11 years ago and did not buy a seat but put him on the liitle pillow on the fold down tray for the ride and on my lap for take off and landing.Now he is 12 and we are traveling tommorrow and he thinks its so funny that he slept on a little pillow on the fold down tray!
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 10:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Our dd was 17 months old when we had to fly with her... We did purchase a seat for her and it was fantastic!
    The flight was looooooooooooong.... we adopted our daughter from China and it was our flight home so it consisted of 2 layovers and 4 planes.. Guangzhou China- Tokyo- Minneapolis- Atlanta. The flight from China to Tokyo was 4 hours then we had a 4 hour layover. The flight to the States was 13.5 hours with a 3 hour layer in MN. We left late due to the weather in Atlanta and arrived a couple of hours later than we were supposed to. Then, we had a 15 minute drive home with a screaming toddler that had never been in a car seat before in her life.. Good times.
    Yes, the length of time played a major role. We were not holding a 17 month old for over 24 hours of traveling. The extra seat made a huge difference for us.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• How did your 1 year old fit on the tray? sorry not trying to be rude, just trying to figure this out.
    Anonymous

• It doesn't say that the baby was one.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Well, it says 11 years ago and now her son is 12, you do the math.
    Anonymous

• Ah, true, well I assume it was a little more than 11 years ago, because that's the only way it makes sense. Good question though.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• During extreme turbulence, a lap baby can become a projectile. We always purchased a ticket and used a carseat on the plane.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I've flown with my kids from 4 months to 3 years old. I always took night flights when I knew they would be sleepy and the plane would be less crowded. I always flew Southwest, since you can pick your seat and families board first, so I could get a seat right in the front and be the first one off the plane. I was also close to the flight attendants if I needed something. When my babies were teeny, I would just have them on my lap. My four month old nursed on the way up and slept in my arms the whole way. As toddlers, I would try to get a fairly empty flight so they had their own seat, even though I wasn't required to buy an extra seat.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:44 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I flew to Hawaii with my son who was 6 months at the time. he sat in my lap and it worked out fine. We got lucky and the seat next to mine was empty so we put all his things in that seat. I also nursed him during the flight with a cover on and he was a very pleasant baby. THe flight was 6 hours and when we got to Honolulu we walked him around until our connecting flight. 

etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 12:32 AM on Jul. 9, 2009