Have you had to...

fly with baby? and did you purchase a seat for baby or did it work out fine with baby on your lap?

How old was baby and how many hours was your flight? Did the amount of time you would be traveling play a role in your decision?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I bought my baby a seat, I took his car seat with me ( my BIL didn't have a car seat). and used it on the plane. I went from NC to LA. I made a few lay overs just so I can have him run around a little, he was almost 2yr. I also gave him a sippy cup right at take off and again at landing to help with the ear popping

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 10:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I never buy a seat... and on every flight but one (we fly often to and from Fl-NY) we have had many seats. Just ask a flight attendent if there are any extra seats you guys can more... the are usully more than helpful!

Kagenj07

Answer by Kagenj07 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I think you are supposed to put a baby in a car seat on an airplane. The booklet for your car seat should have instructions on how to install in in an air plane. I don't know anything about buying a seat though... sorry.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I never bought a seat for my kids until they hit the magic 2, except for overseas where I had to pay for DS2 to sit on my lap. I always brought a carseat (unless we were going overseas) in case there was an extra seat. The airlines used to let you use an empty seat if no one had booked it. The longest I traveled with a child under 2 was 14 hours of flight time plus 6 hour layover. It was long. I brought lollipops and sippies. DS2 was 16 months and had a blast. My other kids were already older but were happy to enjoy the lollies.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I have often wondered as well. We always plan to go at night, so it wouldn't be as bad holding her and she can (hopefully) sleep. But we've never gone further than down the coast, so we haven't had to fly.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 7:40 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Lap baby. She flew at 10 weeks, 12 weeks, and 7.5 months and we're flying again on Saturday. So far it's been pretty easy.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2009