Do you think your marriage would survive if you had to spend a year or two apart?

Hypothetical situation is:
You stay home with the kids. You take over bills, kids, everything. He moves to another country for one, two, maybe more years. He lives and works around over women, as well as you work and live around other men. What are the chances your marriage would survive this separation? Do you think he would cheat? Or you would cheat? Would it be too stressful not being together and just end the marriage so you could both move on? What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I can't say until I'm in that situation.
    I don't think I would cheat nor would my hubby but I know one thing it would couse a whole lot of stress
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 10:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• It depends on the situation. Do you love your partner?
    Patty414

Answer by Patty414 at 10:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I would not live 2 or 3 years in a row away from my husband. I would move to where he is, or he would stay here, no job is worth that. Now, I have lived a year away from my husband, and spend several months of each year away from him while he's on his sub.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I think I'd just go with him. I am sure that we COULD survive it, but it wouldn't be fun. I like being a whole family too much.

beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My dh worked in a different town (2 1/2 hours away) for a year and some weekends he would come home and some he wouldn't. I know it's not quite the same but if the trust is there it should be fine.

Yeah I know it's not that far away but due to a messed up work schedule we couldn't go visit him.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 10:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I'm a USMC wife we spend ridiclous amounts of time apart. If you love someone and they love you you'll have no problem.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 10:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I think we could survive it, but the thing is...I can't really answer this, because my husband would quit his job before he'd leave for a year or two. I don't care how much money he made, we wouldn't make that decision. We can hardly stand to be apart from each other for a day, let alone a year.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 10:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• As long as we'd still have phone calls, letters and email, we'd be fine. Actually we'd probably be closer. DH had a transfer for about 4 months and in that 4 months we talked constantly. It was great. You can sort of get complacent when you are around one another all the time and start taking the other person's presence for granted.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 10:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• i agree with stefanieN84, but there is no trust issues
    Anonymous

• this sounds like a deployment, thats what im going through right now. your DH is sent to another country, you take over everything at home, basically becoming a single parent. And I know 100% that our marriage will survive and honestly in the end I think it will bring us even closer together because we were already strong to begin with
    Italiancouture7

Answer by Italiancouture7 at 11:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2009