So you think Al Sharpton's speech at Michael Jackson's funeral was inappropriate?

Do you think the underlying tones to what Al Sharpton was saying were racist and took away from the special singer/songwriter/performer that MJ was? For him to say "man of color" in the same speech honoring a man who worked so hard all his life to see people as equals, or as one was an oxymoron. Do you think Al Sharpton was on his soapbox with a hidden racial/political agenda, especially with mentioning Obama twice in his speech?
Personally, I know, that I was practicing my Thriller moves as a kid and not focused on race.

Also, do you think he was out of line to say the "ain't nothin' strange about your daddy..." bit to Michael Jackson's children? They've probably been sheltered from the bad publicity, why bring it up at his memorial service? Very tactless.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It was not, but Al Sharpton is always walking the line between what is racist and what isn't. He almost crossed the line but didn't. By the by, I don't belive that Imus was racist either. (collective intake of outraged breath)
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 11:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• p.s. the "it was not" was in response to the answer that was deleted.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 11:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Al Sharptons whole speech was tainted with racism. The media basically villified him for his strange behavior. Then they glorified him in death. None of it based on race. Then they lifted him up as someone who did so much to promote the black community yet he chose white women to have his children with and bleached his skin so much he looked like a white person and turned his face into a freak show trying to eliminate his black features.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Michael Jackson broke racial barriers, YES race was and is still an important part of MJ's story. He was the FIRST black artist to be played on MTV. In the late 60's and early 70's he and his brothers enjoyed much cross over success at a time when most didn't.

The Jackson's and Sharpton are very close and have been for years, as well as Martin Luther King III who was there as well. To deny that race played some role in Michael Jackson's meteoric rise would be like denying the sky is blue. Enjoy all that was his story, it was definitely unique

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• "I am here because of the disgraceful and the despicable way some elements of the media have tried to destroy the legacy and image of Michael Jackson," he told the congregation, charging the media with using different standards for black and white performers

This is bull crap. When kids sat in front of the TV to watch Thriller on MTV or listened to his music and tried to dance like him they were not considering if he was black or white. Just an awesome and moving performer. The race issue will never die until people figure out we are all PEOPLE not divided by race.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

Him having children with a white woman makes hin NO LESS BLACK! as for bleaching himself, he had a disease and now that he passed and it was listed by the hospital as a medical condition and that he had lupus maybe the ignorance surrounding him could be cleared up a little. Obviously he wasn't mentally stable with all the plastic surgeries..does that take away from his acheivments? his charity?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I agree OP. Sharpton is always on a soapbox and it was inappropriate to say many of the things he did. While I think he thought he was doing good, it left a sour taste in my mouth to honor someone with such a 'negative' speech.

BTW - I do not think of Michael Jackson as breaking any racial barriers. I think that is an insult to many others who who broke that mold before him (like Chuck Berry or Nat King Cole, etc.)
    I think MJ was more of a raw, overall talent (dance, choreographer, lyrics) who broke free along WITH the MTV culture/generation.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 11:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• No I dont think so.... I saw it differently than you did.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I think MJ would have been saddened by that speech. It was the epitome of everything MJ was against and everything his whole life fought to eliminate. "we are the world" doesn't warrant Sharpton coming in with his own warped brain...
    Anonymous

• BTW - I do not think of Michael Jackson as breaking any racial barriers. I think that is an insult to many others who who broke that mold before him (like Chuck Berry or Nat King Cole, etc.) I think MJ was more of a raw, overall talent (dance, choreographer, lyrics) who broke free along WITH the MTV culture/generation.

Nat Cole and Berry did break barriers, and so did Jackson. No black artist EVER played on MTV at that time. When his album hit it big, his managers had to FIGHT with MTV to play his videos. They at first refused and only relented when Beat it was being played on every station including rock stations and they were being inundated with requests....He even received an award from Ronald Reagan for his role in We are the world and Hands across America

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:04 AM on Jul. 8, 2009