OMG! He's making me CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so for the past 2 weeks my beautiful little angel has turned into hell on wheels! I don't know what's going on, well I sorta have an idea actually. It's mostly attention seeking behavior. For those of you who don't know, I just had a baby about 8 weeks ago, and my other son's father is now in jail so he hasn't seen him in almost 3 weeks. I suppose he's lacking in the attention department, so acting out seems to be his tool. However, I'm giving him as much attention as one person can in one day! I've tried time outs, taking away privileges, EVERYTHING and it doesn't even effect him. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've even tried talking to him and setting aside time for JUST me and him. Like to the park and such, nothing is helping and I'm at a loss. Help!!!!!!!!!!!

TheDiva320

Asked by TheDiva320 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm going through the same thing right now with my son -we recently went from it just being him and I living alone to us living with my best friend and his family, for a total of nine people in this five bedroom house, five of which are under twelve. His tool - whining. It gets him spankings, time outs, and early bedtime but he just keeps doing it. Ignoring it really is the only thing that works - sometimes. But it is SO hard to ignore and so frustrating. Good luck. :-< I wish I had some advice, but really all I can say is I totally know how ya feel.
    Kodeekins

Answer by Kodeekins at 11:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Sometimes kids act out for attention, sometimes it's because they are bored. Sounds like you are giving him as much attention as you can. See if you can help him stay busy or take an interest in an activity. You can oversee/watch him play while taking care of the new baby. It's worth a try. Look through these kids activities to get some ideas.  http://www.cjkidz.com/Summerfun.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 11:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Good attention or bad attention, a child really doesn't care, they just want attention. If your little guys knows that he gets attention when he's bad, then that's what he's going to do. While, as a parent, we "think" the newborn needs us 24/7, it's really not true. Make sure to spend alone time with your older child several times a day and do this before he acts out. Like first thing when he wakes up and then sit down and color with him later in the day.

While I hardly EVER let my kids sleep with me, you might want to let him once or twice a week, so he feels super special!
    MaryAnne3mommy

Answer by MaryAnne3mommy at 1:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2009