OMG!!!

My 10 month old daughter will NOT stop gagging herself. She finally did it so hard yesterday she spit up her food...anyone have any suggestions aside from the obvious "give her something else to do with her hands stuff." I have tried that and I tell her no and pull her hand out but when we're driving and i hear her gagging herself it's a little hard. any suggestions? is it a phase?

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 11:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have never heard of this before, but obviously it's not hurting her or causing her discomfort or she would stop. She is probably just experimenting with what it feels like to gag. Stop her as much as you can, but don't freak out about it. If you're really worried you could call her doctor and ask if you need to bring her in, but I think she will probably outgrow this in short order. How long as this been going on?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• she's been doing it obsessively for about 3 weeks.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• my son likes to gag himself to his hands are always in his mouth I give him a binkey.
    If she don't want to take it keep trying and eventually she will get used to it
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My son has been doing it for months. I always freaks me out when he starts throwing up every where from it. We have a nuk brush to stimulate his mouth. He doesn't do it so much now since we have started doing that.
    Anonymous

• My daughter does this too!!! I was about to post the exact same question! it seems like every time we're in the car she does it. I dont know if its a boredom thing or what. It might also be teething. I noticed ever since she started getting a couple more teeth its gotten worse. The binky thing doesnt really work, my daughter has one and she still gags herself. sorry i dont have any more advice, but atleast you know youre not alone out there!!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• It's common. The best thing to do is to stay calm and pretty much ignore her. The more excited you get, the more likely she is to do it again. Keep it boring and she'll get bored.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2009