How do you mend a broken heart? Sensitive material

I know this is not "fun" but I knew this is where my friends would see it. Sunday my dads wife called me to tell me that the neighbor found my dad floating face down in the pool, they were unable to revive him. I know something happened to him..heart attack etc, that caused him to go under. His wife was in the house making lunch at the time. We have been waiting for the coroners report. He was healthy, we just had lunch last friday. The next thing I know I am sitting next to his body next to the pool he loved so much. We were supposed to have lunch for my birthday on the 26th. I cannot get my heart and mind around the fact he is gone...just gone. Poof like that! I have never lost anyone so close to me before. How do I come to terms with this? How do I wrap my mind around something so horrible? His funeral is Friday...all I can do is wait, and cry.

salexander

Asked by salexander at 11:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I lost my father suddenly too. I know how you feel. It's shocking and scary. Accept your feelings and allow yourself to grieve, but dont give up your life in the process. Find something you can enjoy, be it a walk, a song or just your children's smiles.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I am so sorry. I have no advice except try to remember the wonderful times you had. At his memorial, you could have a large bowl and some blank notes and everyone can write down good memories of him and put them in the bowl, so that you and your family can read them later.

Big Hugs.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• It takes time. Just cry when you need to cry.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 11:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• First I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. I hope you can find peace in your memories of him. Nothing but time will help. If you are a person of faith pray for understanding. If not try to meditate. Sudden loss is the hardest of all. When someone is old or sick you have time to mentally 'prepare' to some extent. My brother died suddenly when he was 29. We were only 13 months apart. It is jarring to your spirit, to your heart...even to your faith. Know you are not alone. I understand that doesn't make it easier, but there are support groups to be found. God bless you and keep you in his loving care.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I'm sorry you are going through this it really sucks, my older brother was murdered and we were best freinds, the only thing you can really do is cry it out there is no easy way to deal with death, I'm sorry and just keep your head up
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I AM SO VERY SORRY.
    marievegan

Answer by marievegan at 11:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• You will never get over this I lost my cousin suddenly 6 years ago and I still struggle everyday with the fact that he died so young he was only 23, and was suppose to walk me down the isle when I got married so instead of having a big wedding I opted to have the mayor do it. If you ever need anything feel free to pm me you are in my thoughts ans prayers

aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 12:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• (((Hugs))) I'm so sorry for your loss.

My brother died unexpectedly nearly 10 yrs. ago. Time heals but there are days when I do cry because I miss him so much.  He is in my thoughts every single day.

My dad's friend gave him this book but he decided to give it to me.  It's a journal that you fill out about your loved one.   I highly recommend it: http://www.amazon.com/Angel-Catcher-Journal-Loss-Remembrance/dp/0811817318

LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Awww, sweetie, I am so sorry. You made me cry because your sadness and that heaviness in your heart reminds me of when my dad died. (Aug. 6, 2000). It will get better but the first year is the hardest. You remember things like "this is my first Christmas w/o dad" etc. I hope you have a family that supports you. I was in an unfortunate family situation. I pray that you find strength to get through this.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:26 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• im sorry

mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 12:45 AM on Jul. 8, 2009