Husbands addictions

My husband is addicted to morphine and xanax, marijuana and beer....
I am ashamed and embarrased...any support out their?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Health

• An intervention
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Just understand that addiction is a physical as well as psychological sickness. Don't wait for him to hit rock bottom. Plan an intervention now. Make that day his rock bottom. One thing though....don't say certain things will happenif he doesn't go to treatment or relapses unless you stick by it. Othertwise you are left powerless.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• interventions are an option, but does anyone have good support stories---A LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL?
    Anonymous

• If talking to him about his problem has not worked...You can call the local social services department and see if they know of any treatment centers near you that he could go to at a reasonable price...if he can afford all those drugs, then he can afford treatment to save his life. Good Luck and I hope he gets straight soon.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• the light at the end of the tunnel happens when you leave or he is clean and sober. Take it from a recovering addict. Clean and sober 19 years. Two interventions and 5 treatment centers later. How my husband ever stood by my side is beyond comprehension, but he did.
    Anonymous

• My dh has been suffering from addiction or the last 10 years he is in recovery now it has been a long road
    here is a group
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/24700
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Yes, there is a lot of support. Call your nearest drug and alcohol treatment center and sign up for their family group if they have one. Do this for yourself whether or not your husband is ready for treatment. Chemical dependency is a family disease and you are not immune from it. You did not cause his disease. You cannot control it and you cannot cure it. Please be easy on yourself. Being in a relationship with addiction is exhausting and it quickly becomes a question of your survival, not only his. You can learn to detach with love...and it truly is love. You can attend Alanon at no cost. The first time you go, you may just listen. You don't have to talk. There are many groups - attend several. An intervention can work and can be difficult. Ask your local treatment center for professional interventionists and find one who will do follow up with you and your family. You are not alone and recovery is possible.
    yalomsita

Answer by yalomsita at 12:11 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• alanon. please call them now

Answer by rkoloms at 12:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I am a recovering addict, and it really took me wanting to get clean. It is a hard thing to do when you aren't ready to do it. I say support him but like someone said don't give him altimatims then not follow with them. If you say "if you don't stop I am leaving" then you must leave. He has to know there are consequences. I've been clean for over 2 years now. I ended up in jail with NO BODY BY MY SIDE. I got my daughter taken away. Now I cleaned up on my own, have my daughter got married 3 weeks ago and I am happy today.
    Anonymous