science and religion

ok so this is my theory......i do believe in science..and i do believe in the big bang anti mater/matter bit..BUT....in the words of einstein .someting like if you know how matter is created you can see thru the eyes of god. i believe god was what created the whole matter/antimater collision and just sorta set up the domino's how he wanted, hit one over and bam.....i also believe in evolution and their are texts from the bible that can be seen as describing that. im not quoting them cause i have a char. limit lol.
so to me..science and religion are not at war, but need to combine efforts and use science to prove rel. and rel to prove science if that makes sense. they are one in the same to me that help to fill in the blocks. their is science everywhere..but something had to create that period for us to examine it. the fact i found some cath. released texts that support that idea,made me smile!

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 12:51 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• well, if you actually study the Bible, it can't "combine"...there's way too much to explain, i suggest you read "The Answers" book...it's the top 20 questions of Genesis answered...it actually opened my eyes to a few things. there's a link, you can read some of the chapters on this page as well:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• i dont take the bible literally...which is probably where some things get changed.

i dont remember the page but one takes things out of genesis where its not litreal but more poetic and describing the big bang...but not literal, and the timing is definitely not literal
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• i stand by both. some stand by one of the other. ive watched video's of priests who satnd by both and i agree with their standpoint.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:05 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• like i said, go to that website, check out the chapters on the right hand side, there's a chapter called "Couldn't God have used Evolution?"...you should read it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• It isn't that Christians, at least modern Christians have excluded science, rather science has excluded Christianity or any other belief that includes intelligent design.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:54 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I am quoting someone else here, but he has 2 very valid questions for people who think science and religion are compatable.

1.

What specific fundamental principles of your religion do you actually use in your science? I don't mean just general ethical principles, because atheists also have those, but tell me something specific about how you apply your religion to science?
    2.

Do you apply scientific principles to your religion, and do you do so consistently? Do you, for instance, test religious claims with experiment?

When you put it that specifically, most of the religious scientists I know would unashamedly and rightly say that no, they practice science in the lab or field without expectation of an intervention by Jesus to change the results, and that no, turning the skeptical tools of science against their faith would be inappropriate, or that god is not subject to our scrutiny.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:52 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• So how exactly are they compatible?

my2.5boys

• Science and religion can only rest easily together when either one allows the other to challenge it. It used to be that religious leaders, jealous of their power, fought any scientific theory that threatened their preferred interpretations of the Bible. Something similar is happening today, only with those who wish to destroy religion refusing to acknowledge any scientific theory, however well supported, that may encourage any concept also found in the Bible. Science must be free to explore, test and challenge - ALWAYS. No theory can be dismissed until it is disproved. Religious people who sincerely long for truth embrace science. Why do the irreligious fear both religion and science to the point of trying to stifle either when it doesn't agree with them?

Jovaiel

Answer by Jovaiel at 10:20 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Well I, for one, believe that science and religion are compatible. I believe God explains the Who, and science explains the how. I don't take the Bible literally either, though, so that's probably why.
    I just don't see any problem with the two fitting together....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:22 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• yep what she said exactly
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 11:04 AM on Jul. 8, 2009