If sugar and carbs are bad for us ,how come weight watchers brand desserts are low in fat and not low in sugar and carbs?

I just had a weight watchers brand muffin,with 39 grams of carbs,3.5 gms. of fat,30 cholesterol,290 mg. of salt,6 gms. of fiber,14 gms. of sugar,3gms. of protein,1 saturated fat and it was pretty good,nothing really like the real thing but it was good.I had another question about how can a dessert taste so good being 1 1/2 gr. of fat and someone said it's bad because it's the carbs and sugars that make us fat not the fat.So now,weight watchers which are famous for their low fat diets say otherwise?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Because there are a number of ways to lose weight. One is to cut out carbs. One is to cut out fat and calories. You just have to find what works best for you. I can't stand low fat, high sugar. Makes me feel like crap! A Southbeach type diet works best for me....when I can stick to it!
    meeshie

Answer by meeshie at 12:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I would much rather be on a low fat diet,eat anything you want than be on a restricted low carb diet,why don't we all eat the weight watchers way,why has everyone become low carb?Well for me I have to watch my sugars and carbs and it seems to make me feel better,because high carbs and sugar makes me feel terible and I just had that muffin and I felt the sugar shakes from it, so I need a little more fat to balance out the sugars.I'm on another diet and I wanted to stock my pantry with low fat foods, we just assume if it's low in fat it's good for us,but I didn't read the ingredients till now and on the internet it said weight watchers brand desserts and food are not exactly made for their diet,which means they could be lying to us.It gave me a 3 points for the muffin so you'd think it was.For me I'm low carb because high carb and sugar foods even in corn,peas,popcorn,breads bother me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Man,if you can eat corn, peas,popcorn and other high carb foods,count yourself blessed!I would do anything to munch on carots too.People who do weight watchers are so lucky are you one of them and how has your weight loss been?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Well the added carbs in low-fat foods can turn into fat.....what carbs you don't burn off with activities gets stored as fat in the body, so the reality is low fat high carb foods CAN be bad for you, especially if you are pre-diabetic or a diabetic. But, someone whose body produces enough insulin &burns those carbs off will be okay with an occassional item like that, but eating those sweets excessively can add up ¬ be healthy!

Also, just an FYI you can subtract the fiber count from the carb count...so 39 carbs minus 6 fiber = 33 grams of carbs that you have to worry about, which is an okay amount for a meal. If no other carbs are consummed with the muffin it's fine once in awhile.

The danger is eating something like snackwells cookies, &saying "these are low in fat so I can eat as many as I want" then eating the whole box. Those carbs add up, your body can't handle that much sugar & it's stored as fat on your body
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:40 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I watch my sugars and sodium count and I am mindful of fat(the bad fat). When I eat too many sugars(carbs), I crave more of them and I find myself hungrier as the day goes on which leads to night time munchies. I do believe in weight watchers and understand why they have yummy snacks, sometimes I buy them too. But I would much rather have the 'real deal' once in a while and stick to my lower carb, low sugar, low sodium healthy eating plan.

My cravings for sweets is greatly reduced, and I feel soooooooo much better.

It takes about two weeks to get rid of the cravings from sugar. Watch your sugar for two weeks and feel the difference. Everyone is different, so try it and see.
    FatToFitMom

Answer by FatToFitMom at 10:49 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Weight Watchers is a weight loss solution not a health solution. Sugar is bad for you beyond the fact that it can make you fat. It can lead to diabetes. Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, and other diet programs are designed to lose weight. This does not mean that they are necessarily healthy.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• you need carbs. think back to when the atkins diet first started. people were moping around. your body especially rain needs cars and sugar to run and to burn calories. you can just limit your intake or carbs. thing is no-carb diets work just fine...until you start eating carbs again...
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2009