start to put a baby on a schedual

i have a week and a half old girl and i was wondering when is the best time put her on a schedual? ive been hearing 2wks than some say right away....also what to expect at her first doctors appt.

RIP.Caleb

Asked by RIP.Caleb at 12:56 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The best time is when you figure out what her schedule is, then be willing to modify it as her needs change over the next few years. Trying to force a young baby to conform to your ideas of what she needs can have serious health problems for the baby. If you have been reading the book "On Becoming Babywise", do your baby a favor and get a different book. The strict schedues that Babywise advocates have been associated with Faillure To Thrive. Your baby needs what she needs, when she needs it. What you need and want for your convience doesn't really matter.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:04 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I never did this, as my children didnt care what I wanted.. if they were sleepy there were gonna sleep... if they wanted awake they would stay awake.

queenamy

Answer by queenamy at 1:10 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I would say anywhere between 4-6 weeks.
    Have you ever heard of the baby wise books by Gary and Anne Marie Ezzo? I read a similar book by the same authors ("Preparation for Parenting") and it worked wonders for my baby. She is 5 months old, and has been sleeping through the night (from 8 pm to 7 am) for two months now- I got a late start. My sister in law's daughter's both started sleeping that well at around 2 months, she is the one who introduced the books to me.
    I would recommend this method to anyone, and although it is hard to listen to them cry in the beginning, it doesn't last long and is totally worth it (it does not hurt the baby, the book explains this very well) - my daughter can now comfortably soothe herself to sleep.
    I don't know if you have trouble in this area or not, but I wanted to share that with you just in case.
    Hope my answer helped you out.
    Good luck and congrats on your new baby!!
    Jen
    Kylies_mommy72

Answer by Kylies_mommy72 at 1:16 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I also wanted to add that as far as a schedule goes, this book suggests to put your baby on a "3 hour schedule" at around 4 weeks that consists of eating, wake time, and sleeping- in that order. Then you just repeat that throughout the day. This way you're not constantly watching the clock and "hyperscheduling" but you both know what to expect as the day goes on. This gave me a much needed brake as I was not always trying to guess what it was that my baby wanted/needed...
    anyway, hope I'm not rambling too much, I guess if you want more info on it just ask :) Id be happy to help.
    Kylies_mommy72

Answer by Kylies_mommy72 at 1:21 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Kaycee14-
    I'm not sure what you mean by "strict scheduling" as I have not read that exact book, but the book I read includes flexibility, and teaches you how to read your babies cues so that you're not trying to feed a tired baby, or change a hungry one.. etc... also, it teaches not to associate food with sleep and that is the reason for the scheduling. I understand the importance of constant care for a newborn and do not advocate strict scheduling, however I do believe that babies of all ages thrive on consistency, as is taught in this book. All babies are different, and these methods are not suggested for preemies, but I believe all full term, healthy, babies have the potential to be good sleepers and that they do benefit from schedules.
    Kylies_mommy72

Answer by Kylies_mommy72 at 1:34 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Kaycee said it best. There is no "putting" baby on a schedule. You work around their routine and bend it a bit for convenience. But babies are constantly growing, changing, and developing needs. It's not helpful to them to stick them on a schedule. This is often done for the parent. But don't stress it. Just work around the baby and keep it simple.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:11 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Schedules are for buses, not for babies. Go with the flow. Sarah Palin is incorrect when she says that only dead fish do that...smart people do it too in situations where their interventions would only make things worse.

Babies set their own schedules. When you mess with that, you can be in for failure to thrive or massive sleeping problems. Just leave it. You;re not being a bad mom.

Now...ROUTINES are a different matter and you can start a ROUTINE from the moment of birth. Feed. change, bed...with the understanding that you will likely be doing it all again in an hour. A routine is just doing the same sets of actions in the same order with little to no regard for the clock.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:33 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I agree with gdiamante completely.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 3:36 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Babies can not be put on a schedule that young regardless of what anyone says.. ive tried it. Babies have their own schedule that they wanna follow.. And her first check up should go fine.. they probably just wanna see how shes developing
    TheyRmyworld801

Answer by TheyRmyworld801 at 12:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2009