Do you think this is tacky? My neighbors have been out of work for months. They had savings and added a "quick" room to rent for $625 a month...

While the husband is a hard-working knowledgable man and his wife is very hard-working woman and always helps him do projects around the house, I was thinking of having him do some stuff around my house. This is the tacky problem, I can't pay him even near what he used to make at his old job. I could probably pay him minumum wage. I see it this way "Better to make something then nothing" while I need to get my house painted and have SEVERAL other things done around my house but I also see it in possibly his point of view,"Paint your house for minimum wage"? They are very humble and helpful people. We are also friends, we attend each others parties, bar-b-ques etc. What do you think?

Gigi1969

Asked by Gigi1969 at 1:11 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I agree with Lesli. That is the way I would go. Then, if he recommends somebody, you are off the hook. If he offers to do it, make sure you have contract and things and seperate his working from your friendship. Easy enough. It covers both your butts and lets him know that you are one smart single momma.
    Times are coming that we will end up helping out our neighbors, family, friends like this. Things will be tougher and hireing somebody that needs the work and can do it properly, instead of somebody that has a company and may be OK financially for now is the best way to go in my eyes.
    wildprairierose

Answer by wildprairierose at 8:27 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I think you should hire someone you don't know to do it. in my opinion it is always bad to mix money and friends. I understand your want to help them out, but just take in to consideration what may happen if the job doesn't get done to your satisfaction or if they have a problem with you asking for things to be done a certain way. it is a lot easier to fix these types of problems when you are dealing with someone you don't know on such a personal level.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:23 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Ask how much he thinks the job is worth, before you ask him if he'd like to do it. Just say, "hey I was thinking about doing.... and was wondering how much you think I should charge. Then if its in your ballpark, ask if he knows of anyone who would be interested in doing it. That saves his pride (if he does need the work, he'll tell you, "well I have time" etc. If he doesn't think he needs it, he'll mention someone he would use.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 1:26 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I meant, how much do you think I should pay some one to do this, not charge! LOL
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 1:27 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• im not sure what the subject has to do with the actual question
    queenamy

Answer by queenamy at 1:28 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Oh! I failed to mention something, they are so not good at accepting money. The other day he replaced my moms kitche faucet and the wife told him "Don't you dare accept a nickle from her". She gave him $20 and he left it on the table, I then had to go and force it on them! lol, No, don't get me wrong, I don't want anyone to feel taken advantage of and I HATE strangers at my house because they always have questions. I live alone with my 10 year old so I am NOT crazy about having any dude that charges too much coming here.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:30 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• BTW thanks Rhianna, my brother tends to let those issues ruin his relationships but I am wondering if my mom can pitch in. I am just thinking outloud.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:32 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I think Lesli has it right - that sounds like the plan to me

Answer by missanc at 1:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2009