Perceptions of distance

What do you define as a long distance to walk or drive?
I used to work retail and would have lots of customers telling me that they "drove so far to get here". When I would ask where they lived, it was usually within a 15 minute drive radius. To me, 15 minutes is nothing...my husband used to live 30-45 minutes (depending on traffic) away from me when we were dating and people seemed shocked that we'd drive that far to see each other. I don't know...45 minutes just doesn't seem like a far drive to me! Also, I define walking distance as anything under 2 miles. I guess it just doesn't bother me!
So, what are your perceptions of distance?

beadingmom17

Asked by beadingmom17 at 1:15 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I know, its the same way here. I moved to the next county and all my friends were like "way out there", its a twenty minute drive from me to them. A long drive to me is over an hour. My DH worked an hour away from work, till he was transferred. Now he's a half an hour away. But perception of distance is based on whether you live in the suburbs or a rural area. People in rural areas are fine with driving longer distances, people in the suburbs tend to want everything at their fingertips. I am sort of in between. My town is self sufficent, we have shops and services here. However, if you want more selection, better price, etc. the bigger shopping areas are about half an hour away.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 1:22 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I have actually wondered why I drive to work sometimes. I work at the local elementary school!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:24 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• my boyfriend lives an hour away. it seemed like a long drive at first, but i've gotten used to it. avg. drive around suwanee, ga is about 10-15 minutes i guess, depending on where you are going.
    annelebar

Answer by annelebar at 1:24 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• In CA, I thought anything within an hour and a half drive was close enough. Now I live in the boonies and a 20 min drive seems very long to me. Maybe I am just older now too. LOL
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 1:29 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Do I look like the legs that I walk on would walk to far? I don't think so,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I agree with a PP. I am in a rural area. Driving for a couple hours to get to a town to shop is common. Even driving 8 hours to go see friends isn't that big of a deal for me. (we measure things in time instead of miles around here)

Walking, well, our town is small enough that, if the weather is good, I walk everywhere. 5 miles one way is nothing for anybody around here.
    wildprairierose

Answer by wildprairierose at 8:20 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I live waaaayyy out in the country. I have like 3 stores near me, all less than a mile away, I would walk to them. Driving time...it takes me 20 minutes to get to the nearest town, 30-45 minutes to get to the nearest town that actually has anything I need. So to me, driving for an hour is not a long drive. To me, a long drive is 2 hours or more, and even 2 hours isn't that big a deal to me.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:43 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I'm about the same as you
    whoiam

Answer by whoiam at 3:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I'm a country girl who grew up out in the boonies so to get to the nearest town with a small store we would have to drive 30 minutes, which seemed like a short drive to us.
    When I was a teen and lived with a foster family I would walk 2 miles back and forth to work and it felt like a short walk in the park.
    Before I got my license and car I bought myself a bicycle and I use to drive that bike at least 10 miles each way to work and back when I was 18. It got so I could ride it without any hands and I felt so free!
    Here in the suburbs, lots of things are close by, but I wish I could live out in the boonies again. People are shocked that my husband would actually drive 60 minutes to get to work and the same to get back home each day.
    Sure, the price of gas is high, but we have an economical vehicle, we live in a nice area in a wonderful house, and he has an awesome job in the city, where I would never live!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2009