in your V-zone.... [grown up talk...]

alright, I'm currently expecting and everyone is giving me both sides of how to deliver.
c-section and natural
my curiosity is....

is it true that if you give natural, your vagina needs stitches afterwards. I know one of my friends needed to get cut down there b/cuz the baby's head was too big. =/
so... do you get an ouchie down there?

[no bashing to c-sectioners plz. I'm asking for information from everyone. even if their all diffrent. No bashing to either or]

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's all about how big the baby is, and how easily your body adjusts to that baby coming through! I've heard of stretching yourself out in the weeks before you give birth. Do some research on the internet. I got cut with my first, and like the PP said, it hurts, but it heals, and they use the stitches that dissolve, so it's not like you have to go back in to get them removed. If you end up with an episiotomy, just take care of it like they tell you, and use all of the options they give you for relief. (Ice packs, numbing agents, tucks and witch hazel for swelling) there's a lot of moms here who know all the secrets! I've seen friends have just miserable recoveries from c-sections, and from what I understand, you're pretty helpless for a little while!
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 12:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Some people need stitches, some don't. If you do deliver vaginally, and have tear, just make sure you get some numbing stuff for afterwards. My doc gave me dermoplast. It's great. Also ice diapers are great! Healing time for vaginal delivery is probably going to be much faster.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 1:37 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• i never needed stitches.. i have a vag. delievery.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• If you do need to get cut, they cut you between your vagina and your anus and you get stitches. This happened to me when I had my first baby and of course, yes it hurt. But, they give you drugs and you heal. They don't always do it and actually I believe it's less popular now. When you have a C-section they cut you above the pubic bone, and temporarily remove your organs, bladder etc and then cut open your uterus. My husband watched them do this with my third (the second of my twins, the first twin being born vaginally without being cut).. If you are mainly concerned about pain I will tell that the C-section is by far the post painful to recover from, and the vaginal cut and  delivering my first twin did not interfer with my enjoyment of sex or the enjoyment of my husband while having sex with me. Hope this helps. Oh yeah and the c section scar is ugly.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:43 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• if the dr allows your vagina time to stretch, you shouldn't tear or need an episiotomy. i would discuss w/ your dr about when you are pushing to not coach you so that you can push when your body is telling you. but, if you get an epi, you will not feel these urges and then will have coached pushing.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 8:12 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I haven't had my baby yet, but my SIL just had hers and my MIL said the midwife kept rubbing some sort of oil (mineral oil maybe?) around her vagina and perinium (sp?) and massaging it. She said SIL did end up tearing but it was because the baby swung her arm out and that's what caused her to tear. Had she slipped out nice and easy, she wouldn't have torn.
    Anonymous

• If you get cut (episiotomy) you will need stitches. If you tear, it's possible you might not need stitches, if the tear is small enough; if it's a large tear, you will need stitches. Follow the pain relief suggestions of the previous posters, and don't worry too much about it.
    whoiam

Answer by whoiam at 3:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I tore with both. I had 3rd degree tear (inside and out) with my first and to be honest it wasn't that bad. For me it was more uncomfortable than it was painful. Just listen to what they tell you to do (ice, tucks, pain pills) and all will be fine. If I had a choice I would def. choose vag. delivery. Quicker recovery.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 4:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2009