my 21mth old son only says a few words, and doesnt respond to his name all the time. he seems normal in every other way. he sings parts of songs from tv shows, the words arent clear except for Caillous name. should I be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would recommend that you look into whether or not your state has a Birth to Three program. Your little guy should be using more words and I think that he may qualify for services. I also wonder if he is having some difficulty hearing because of fluid in his ears. Does he have frequent ear infections or fluid in his ears? If he does, that would account for him not always respondiing to his name and for not having many words in his vocabulary. When you have fluid in your ears, the words that people speak are not clear( it sounds like they are talking underwater.) Check about getting him into a program were they will come to the house for speech therapy(Birth to Three) or get him evaluated at a private facility.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 5:58 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Your primary phys. should let you know if its normal. If not then they refer your to speech services which usually refers you to the local regional center or birth to 3 yr program for evaluation and let you know what services for which you qualify
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 7:48 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Call Early Intervention and voice your concerns to them. Talk to your doctor and voice your concerns to him (or her).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2009