Would i be at fault or would the mother be at fault?

Earlier 2day i was at brewers square, JV, doin my laundry, watchin some golden girls(my 6 y/o son is in summer school, bf is out playin drums) i c the front door (which is unlocked) starting to open and get a little freaked out. 2 my surprise its madison who is 4, 1 of the little neighbor girls rite next 2 our condo opening my front door!She didnt even ring the door bell!She just came rite in & asked if my son devin was home.OMG! Im was freakin out! Wht if no 1 was hom, i 4got to lock the front door & she somehow hurt herself in my condo!?! How much trouble would i be in? After this incident, i know shes done this b4. OMFG! What if i was takin a shower? Ok, kids not home,i gotta lock the door now 2 have private time w/ my bf? When my sons playin outside i always open front door, open the window, shutters etc. Madison just waltzs rite in whether devin is there or not&starts playing w/ his toys!

kahala

Asked by kahala at 1:29 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Um...the textspeak makes it a little hard to understand what you're asking but if I followed you...the parent of the child is responsible.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:28 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• You need to have a talk with the child about knocking on the door. I'd talk to the mom too.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:40 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Ummm why is a 4 year old aloud of the house by herself? That doesn't make any sense to me at all. I wouldn't even let my 5 year old play outside by himself with the door open watching him, that is just weird to me and seems kind of lazy on the mom's part. You need to talk to her mother about it because I am kind of confused why she is letting her 4 year old out alone in the first place.
    elismom122003

Answer by elismom122003 at 5:22 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Well you need to talk to her mother who seems to be a little lacking in her parenting skills. I would talk with the mother and then from her reaction talk with the little girl about knocking. As for if she got hurt in your apartment when you weren't there or were in the shower etc that would not be your fault, but they could probably still find a lawyer that would take the case and drag you through court.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:35 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• It would be the mother's fault, but I am sure if she got hurt in your place that they would find a way to sue and try to get money out of you. Personally, I lock my doors unless we are outside anyway, just b/c it's safer. You never know when some random weirdo might go thru the neighborhood, I'd rather my door not be easy for him/her to get thru. Whether you start locking your door or not, I'd tell the little girl that she needs to knock when she comes over, and I'd also talk to her mother and tell her that you'd appreciate her checking with you before she sends her daughter over (I know you think the child isn't being supervised - by putting it to her this way, she won't get as defensive).
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:35 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Answered at 12:28 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 by: gdiamante
    Um...the textspeak makes it a little hard to understand what you're asking but if I followed you...the parent of the child is responsible.

Oh well, so what! You have a limited amt of words to get ur pt across in askin ur questions.
    kahala

Answer by kahala at 10:35 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• If it's on your property, you would be at fault for not securing your property. Kind of like if you had a pool and a kid came over and drowned in your pool while you were not home, it would be your fault. The law is stupid sometimes, but it is how it is. The judge or your lawyer may find a way to twist it so it's the mother's fault considering the child's age, however, they could sue you and could potentially win.
    amymarie0315

Answer by amymarie0315 at 11:13 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• English, please. There is plenty of room to ask a question and still give some background information.
    Anonymous

• Welcome to my world,LOL. From the time my son started getting friends old enough to come over,they would just walk right on in.A few even invite themselves to eat dinner with us, lol. Some just start playing with my sons outdoor toys without even asking.I remind myself, they are just kids.I don't think most parents even know that thier children are doing this,they'd probably would be truly embarressed to know.I have schooled my son on this only because his friends do it, if they never did it, I don't think I would have guessed Joshua would do something like that,lol. I do lock my doors when I need privacy, it's better than not...probably safer too..we do live in a crazy world now,you know.I also have asked the children to please knock before they come in,no big deal.If it was to get crazy out of control, I would go directly to that childs parent and let them know and ask them to talk to thier kid.Good Luck!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• 9:47 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 by: Anonymous
    English, please. There is plenty of room to ask a question and still give some background information.

If u cant understand what im saying (u and some other person cant seem to read) thats ur problem and u just dont understand english well enough. I have given u plenty of background info w/ the amt of words given.
    kahala

Answer by kahala at 3:20 PM on Jul. 8, 2009