Do you think Americans are becoming less and less compassionate?

I do think our country is turning more into a greedy, every-dog-for-himself mentality.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think alot of the lack of compassion is from us being exposed to so much violence and things through the media. The news "gets off" on throwing all the awful things at us. The video games and the movies are so over the top from the way they used to be 20 years ago. Oh how I long for the simpler days.

To answer your question - yes.

Yet, in the wilds of the midwest, I don't see it as much as people do in the big cities.
    wildprairierose

Answer by wildprairierose at 8:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Yes I do believe this has happened. Our country is full of selfish idiots
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:52 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• No. I think *most* Americans are compassionate. However, i think the 'everyone owes me the world' greedy, self-indulgent bumlicks are the ones that make the rest of us look bad. I also think too many people are over dramatic. Just because people don't throw themselves down in a fit of sadness over someone else's misfortune doesnt mean they are lacking compassion, they just aren't lacking brain cells :)
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 2:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I sense an anger that hasn't been so strong before. I have heard way too much of it in all kinds of public forums to say it's not there.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Sadly, yes.
    I also believe that many people, Americans included, are turning away from their cultures, ethics, and religious connections.
    I am also wondering what has happened to "innocence." Not naivity (sp?), but the innocence of our youth in America.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2009